Turn on thread page Beta

In tears .Please help . My usb stick has malfunctioned . watch

ReputationRep:
    I very stupidly left my USB stick in my laptop against a wall and it fell and my usb stick is bent and every laptop i put it into says it's malfunctioned it's got all my work from college on and I didn't save back ups . I'm crying . Please help .

ReputationRep:
    Unlucky M8 get em next time
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Moved to Technology and computers.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by njc313245)
    I very stupidly left my USB stick in my laptop against a wall and it fell and my usb stick is bent and every laptop j put it into says it's malfunctioned it's got all my work from college on and I didn't safe back ups . I'm crying . Please help .
    Is it just the connector bit that's bent? Have you tried wiggling it around a bit? There are others here with more technical knowledge than I have but I'll give a couple of suggestions. This page suggests downloading recovery software (can't vouch for it because I've never used it but maybe give it a shot). If it's actually physically damaged then I'm guessing that's probably fairly unlikely to work. If wiggling it isn't helping, you could try taking it to a local computer repair shop, because as long as the storage chip isn't damaged, it may still be possible to repair.

ReputationRep:
    This is horrible I'm sorry What kind of work have you lost?

ReputationRep:
    Get the soldering iron out 😀

Hope you get it recovered.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like a hardware issue so try taking it into a shop.

Doesn't sound good tbh but if the actual memory itself hasn't been damaged badly and it's just the connector, they may be able to recover your work.

No guarantees though. Really sorry!

ReputationRep:
    I very stupidly left my USB stick in my laptop against a wall and it fell and my usb stick is bent and every laptop j put it into says it's malfunctioned it's got all my work from college on and I didn't safe back ups . I'm crying . Please help .
    Step one, unplug it and stop using it. It's not going to work in different computers and you just increase the risk of something shorting the stick out the more times you plug and unplug it while damaged.

Unfortunately there's very little you can do yourself if the connectors are broken. I would personally go into the university, explain the situation to your lecturers, and ask them if they can contact the IT department and see if they know of anybody (whether that's an individual within the university or an outside company) that's able to either repair your drive or recover the data stored on it. Fingers crossed they'll know somebody who does, if not ask around your local computer hardware stores or even try and get in touch with anyone at your uni studying electrical engineering that could have a go at it as a last resort.

And let this be a lesson for you going forward- Google Drive or Dropbox will save your ass more than once in your studies and career.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much everyone . I cried for ages then I tried it in another port and lucky I accesed the work ! So lucky as it's pjudicially bent but the files seem fine ! I've sent it to my self on Facebook as a backup and I'm but im buying a new stick tomorrow , so lucky, hard lesson to learn !
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Thanks so much everyone . I cried for ages then I tried it in another port and lucky I accesed the work ! So lucky as it's pjudicially bent but the files seem fine ! I've sent it to my self on Facebook as a backup and I'm but im buying a new stick tomorrow , so lucky, hard lesson to learn !
    Glad this story has a happy ending! Last year I accidentally permanently deleted a major essay that I had probably spent over a hundred hours on, and that story didn't have a happy ending unfortunately, so I'm very glad that you've not had to go through the same pains

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness so sorry to hear that , would have droven me crazy !!
    Thank you !!")

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuremedic34)
    What kind of work have you lost?
    can you read

yea the wires are lose, literally happened to me, I had to tape it up then hold it in a special position in my port, and not move an inch, not a muscle, not even breathe I swear then I had to quickly catch it when my laptop recognised it,and copied and pasted everything with a drag and drop lol threw that ***** out and got another one.

was the worst cos I had to pull up a PowerPoint for a presentation that week

ReputationRep:
    Life lesson. Next time use cloud to backup your files.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    As Gofre said, use something like Google Drive as a further back up.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 22, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.