Turn on thread page Beta

Can my employer fire me for not being able to cover a shift? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a little worried because I had a few missed calls from my employer. I wasn't ignoring my phone, it was on silent and I didn't hear it. I called back immediately, well about 10 minuets later and the receptionist at my work said my manager had called to see if I could cover a shift as a colleague had called in sick. She did say that my manager had managed to find someone else to cover the shift. I spoke to my manager and apologised and he said not to worry and that he found someone else to cover. I'm still really worried that I'm going to get in trouble or even sacked as I didn't return the call until ten minuets later. I am contracted to three days a week because of university commitments but it states in my contract that I may be required to do overtime if needed.

Do you think this is grounds to sack me? Should I be worried?

Sorry for the long question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofialexiou_)
    Hi,

I'm a little worried because I had a few missed calls from my employer. I wasn't ignoring my phone, it was on silent and I didn't hear it. I called back immediately, well about 10 minuets later and the receptionist at my work said my manager had called to see if I could cover a shift as a colleague had called in sick. She did say that my manager had managed to find someone else to cover the shift. I spoke to my manager and apologised and he said not to worry and that he found someone else to cover. I'm still really worried that I'm going to get in trouble or even sacked as I didn't return the call until ten minuets later. I am contracted to three days a week because of university commitments but it states in my contract that I may be required to do overtime if needed.

Do you think this is grounds to sack me? Should I be worried?

Sorry for the long question!
    Why would you get sacked for that? 😂😂😂

No, you won’t get sacked for ‘not answering you phone’ 😂😂😂😂😂

And it’s up to you whether you wish to cover a shift. He said ‘can you come in’ not ‘you must come in’
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Arthur 284)
    Why would you get sacked for that? 😂😂😂

No, you won’t get sacked for ‘not answering you phone’ 😂😂😂😂😂
    I know it sounds silly, but it's a new job. I've just finished my first week so I don't want to give a bad impression. I tend to overthink situations anyway so hopefully I'm just doing it now. I just wanted someone else's input because I've read stories about people being sacked for similar situations.

ReputationRep:
    I know it sounds silly, but it's a new job. I've just finished my first week so I don't want to give a bad impression. I tend to overthink situations anyway so hopefully I'm just doing it now. I just wanted someone else's input because I've read stories about people being sacked for similar situations.
    What job is it anyway? If it’s like waiter or bartender. Who cares? Just get another job.

It’s not like it’s your life’s purpose to be there anyway.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have dedicated cover patterns that contractually oblige you to go in and cover sickness etc, then they can't really complain. Sounds like your boss was sound about it - I wouldn't fret.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Arthur 284)
    What job is it anyway? If it’s like waiter or bartender. Who cares? Just get another job.

It’s not like it’s your life’s purpose to be there anyway.
    Yeah, it's a bartending and waitressing job haha. I understand what you're saying but I just don't want to get in trouble. It took a while for me to find a job that fit around my university schedule so I wouldn't want to lose it. I was just wondering what other people would make of this because I haven't been able to find much online in regards to my specific situation. A lot of the forums I read were from people who either refused to cover a shift or couldn't cover. I did neither because my manager found someone else before I called back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Unless you have dedicated cover patterns that contractually oblige you to go in and cover sickness etc, then they can't really complain. Sounds like your boss was sound about it - I wouldn't fret.
    Yeah I suppose. All it says in my contract is that I may be required to do overtime but it doesn't say anything about covering other peoples shifts. That's why I was worried.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I suppose. All it says in my contract is that I may be required to do overtime but it doesn't say anything about covering other peoples shifts. That's why I was worried.
    You'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Even if you had answered your phone, you're not obliged to cover other people's shifts.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Even if you had answered your phone, you're not obliged to cover other people's shifts.
    I agree. Obviously if you can then you can, but they cant force you to. And they certainly cant sack you over it.

ReputationRep:
    I own many McDonalds and Subway franchises within Glasgow and have demanded all crew members attend their shift or they shall receive their p45. The weather is not an excuse not to attend,

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.