Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Do you believe in curses and witchcraft? watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I keep telling my mum all that stuff is nonesense but she believes in it and thinks there are witches out there that can curse you. Do you believe in it? I think it’s nonesense
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Night King)
    I keep telling my mum all that stuff is nonesense but she believes in it and thinks there are witches out there that can curse you. Do you believe in it? I think it’s nonesense
    No? Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense, though both my great Grandmother and my Nan were big into curses, luck charms, effigy dolls and all that stuff. This despite being massively religious Catholics, ha. Must be that peculiarly Irish brand of Christianity, eh :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I believe His Holiness The Pope has magical powers as the direct representative of God the Almighty.

I also believe in the saints before us performing miracles.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Yes. I believe His Holiness The Pope has magical powers as the direct representative of God the Almighty.

I also believe in the saints before us performing miracles.
    I hope this is just extreme sarcasm:laugh: You never know, some people actually think like this

ReputationRep:
    I hope this is just extreme sarcasm:laugh: You never know, some people actually think like this
    Drummond might pop up with some pearls of wisdom.

ReputationRep:
    If The Holy Father doesn't have any magical powers, in what way is He "holy"?

If the Supreme Pontiff and the saints isn't/weren't gifted with witchcraft, how did any of them perform miracles?

To be made a saint, one needs to perform 3 verified miracles.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If The Holy Father doesn't have any magical powers, in what way is He "holy"?

If the Supreme Pontiff and the saints isn't/weren't gifted with witchcraft, how did any of them perform miracles?

To be made a saint, one needs to perform 3 verified miracles.
    Hahaha got you:thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha got you:thumbsup:
    There's His Holiness The Dalai Lama, too. If witchcraft isn't real, how could reincarnation be real?

ReputationRep:
    There's His Holiness The Dalai Lama, too. If witchcraft isn't real, how could reincarnation be real?
    Traditionally it's not - that's a Western imposition adopted for the usual cynical reasons.

Witchraft =/= transmigration, and transmigration =/=reincarnation. very few Buddhists believe in reincarnation because it presupposes an enduring 'me' or 'I'. Most (not all) believe in transmigration, which presupposes mindstreams without an enduring self.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    First Christianity, now buddhism...Soon enough we’re moving to Islam lol. Fullproof logic though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Traditionally it's not - that's a Western imposition adopted for the usual cynical reasons.

Witchraft =/= transmigration, and transmigration =/=reincarnation. very few Buddhists believe in reincarnation because it presupposes an enduring 'me' or 'I'. Most (not all) believe in transmigration, which presupposes mindstreams without an enduring self.
    Ahh so now we know that's a fake religion!

ReputationRep:
    First Christianity, now buddhism...Soon enough we’re moving to Islam lol. Fullproof logic though
    Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) flew to the sky instead of dying, right? If that's not magic, what is?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh so now we know that's a fake religion!
    Haha, sort of (in my view). I enjoy Tibetan Buddhism for its richness of culture, but it is indeed far removed from its Indian ancestor. It has lots and lots of Bon and other shamanic, superstitious, essentialist influence. It is irreconcilable with the Indian stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, sort of (in my view). I enjoy Tibetan Buddhism for its richness of culture, but it is indeed far removed from its Indian ancestor. It has lots and lots of Bon and other shamanic, superstitious, essentialist influence. It is irreconcilable with the Indian stuff.
    But Indians don't follow it so it's probably just a cult.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Did anyone say cult

ReputationRep:
    Some do. Cult/sect/whatever - the differences are often minute.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone say cult

They get a planet when they die and their leader speaks directly to God so I think it's real magical

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone say cult

One of my mates is a Mormon and he listens to Satanic metal acts, I am not sure how he reconciles it! :laugh:

Good lad, though. Can't even have a can of coke in case the caffeine alters his mind-state.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    One of my mates is a Mormon and he listens to Satanic metal acts, I am not sure how he reconciles it! :laugh:

Good lad, though. Can't even have a can of coke in case the caffeine alters his mind-state.
    And he does that as a recreational activity or as a ritual in those mormon temples?:rofl:

Been approached by 2 beautiful young ladies last week. I thought it was my lucky day...but it turns out they were mormons, trying to convert me hahah. Out of all people walking on the street I was the one chosen by God, the ethnically ambigous metallica fan lol

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.