Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm furious and before I complain I want to ensure I'm correct.

I was told that for our dissertations we would be assigned to a supervisor and we would each have 10 hours worth of supervision. So basically 10 one to ones.

I'm told that this is the same across most unis and that supervision sessions are the main part of their job.

So I had my first session with my supervisor. Then she goes on temporary leave for illness.

After about 6 weeks we get told she's not coming back.

we are told our new supervisor will be the person who is supervising the rest of our class.

So now our supervisor has double the students to supervise.

Anyway I go about 2 months before I have my second supervision session. He realises I'm really behind. So I explain I've only had one supervision session.

HE STARTS LAUGHING
    " you're not expecting the full 10 hours of supervision are you?"

?!?!?!

I mean it's not his fault. He's an amazing tutor and he's suddenly got to find the time for double students. But is that really my problem? It's me that's paying tuition fees isn't it? I know it's impossible for him to find 10 hours each for all of us. But I'm not blaming him I'm blaming the uni. Why hasn't cover been arranged?

Am I wrong to expect 10 hours supervision?

Last time I checked it's me that's in £50k debt so am I asking much ???
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I saw my dissertation supervisor once at BA and MA level, haha.

Anyway, you do have to shoulder some responsibility. Of course the situation is less than ideal, that part is not your fault. But using a bit of common sense and pestering and pestering and pestering until something was done more quickly would have been my course of action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    I saw my dissertation supervisor once at BA and MA level, haha.

Anyway, you do have to shoulder some responsibility. Of course the situation is less than ideal, that part is not your fault. But using a bit of common sense and pestering and pestering and pestering until something was done more quickly would have been my course of action.
    I'm currently looking through all my documents and handbooks to find evidence that we are paying for 10 hours.

Obviously one supervisor can't find the time to provide 10 hours to everyone. I completely understand that. So I'd be flexible and communicate by email instead of arranging appointments or I'd be fine with like 5 hours or something. But I just don't get why they haven't found cover? The principal sends us emails all the time saying they are interviewing candidates to be our new supervisor but that's all we get told. Whenever we ask staff they just tell us to ask the principical who never replies to emails and when she does it's unclear and doesn't answer the question.

At the start of the year it was early days and we were told she'd be back within a week so we just got on with it. But now it's 2 months until the deadline I've only had 1 hours supervision which was her explaining all the things that were wrong with my idea and told me to go away and come back with a new idea. But obv she never came back. So I've had to use google and stuff to guide me.

What's worse is everyone else is doing experiments im the only person doing a literature review so I can't even get help from peers.

I'm not even bothered about having one to ones but honestly the amount of times I've emailed my supervisor asking a yes or no question and theyeve took days to reply.

Am I being dramatic? Am I expecting too much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadieleigh95)
    I'm currently looking through all my documents and handbooks to find evidence that we are paying for 10 hours.

Obviously one supervisor can't find the time to provide 10 hours to everyone. I completely understand that. So I'd be flexible and communicate by email instead of arranging appointments or I'd be fine with like 5 hours or something. But I just don't get why they haven't found cover? The principal sends us emails all the time saying they are interviewing candidates to be our new supervisor but that's all we get told. Whenever we ask staff they just tell us to ask the principical who never replies to emails and when she does it's unclear and doesn't answer the question.

At the start of the year it was early days and we were told she'd be back within a week so we just got on with it. But now it's 2 months until the deadline I've only had 1 hours supervision which was her explaining all the things that were wrong with my idea and told me to go away and come back with a new idea. But obv she never came back. So I've had to use google and stuff to guide me.

What's worse is everyone else is doing experiments im the only person doing a literature review so I can't even get help from peers.

I'm not even bothered about having one to ones but honestly the amount of times I've emailed my supervisor asking a yes or no question and theyeve took days to reply.

Am I being dramatic? Am I expecting too much?
    I don't think that you are expecting too much, no - at least not in principle. 10 hours seems like a lot in terms of undergrad supervision. I have never spent that much time with my supervisor per term at any level, but my experience is not the be-all and end-all!

If you are worried then you need to stay on top of things and be proactive. I wouldn't have waited two months, I'd have been sending emails after the second week asking staff members if we could arrange something. At this lveol you should be prepared to go get things for yourself, including supervision.

Re cover, not sure what you are studying and how your dept is set up, so couldn't comment. In my case, if my supervisor went off sick, it'd be next to impossible for the department to get me a like-for-like replacement,, so these things are sometimes not easy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that you are expecting too much, no - at least not in principle. 10 hours seems like a lot in terms of undergrad supervision. I have never spent that much time with my supervisor per term at any level, but my experience is not the be-all and end-all!

If you are worried then you need to stay on top of things and be proactive. I wouldn't have waited two months, I'd have been sending emails after the second week asking staff members if we could arrange something. At this lveol you should be prepared to go get things for yourself, including supervision.

Re cover, not sure what you are studying and how your dept is set up, so couldn't comment. In my case, if my supervisor went off sick, it'd be next to impossible for the department to get me a like-for-like replacement,, so these things are sometimes not easy.
    It's a psychology undergraduate degree. I agree with you I'm aware 10 hours is a lot and I probably won't need it. But surely I should have the option?

Also I agree that it is hard to find cover and they say they are interviewing people etc. But at the same time, are you telling me that a university doesn't have anything put into place for when staff sickness occurs?

I should add aswell, the other supervisor is now off sick as well. So everyone on our course no longer has a supervisor and we are just being told 'we are working to resolve the issue'

Regarding not chasing it up, when she went off sick we received emails everyday saying she will be back next week. So we all just waited. Then it'd be another week. And whenever anybody complained we were just told she will be back next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadieleigh95)
    It's a psychology undergraduate degree. I agree with you I'm aware 10 hours is a lot and I probably won't need it. But surely I should have the option?

Also I agree that it is hard to find cover and they say they are interviewing people etc. But at the same time, are you telling me that a university doesn't have anything put into place for when staff sickness occurs?

I should add aswell, the other supervisor is now off sick as well. So everyone on our course no longer has a supervisor and we are just being told 'we are working to resolve the issue'

Regarding not chasing it up, when she went off sick we received emails everyday saying she will be back next week. So we all just waited. Then it'd be another week. And whenever anybody complained we were just told she will be back next week.
    I would still have gone elsewhere quicker - but then I'd been about a bit and was older when I went back, so I knew how sickness could string out and those sorts of emails repeat indefinitely and to my detriment (I don't mean that in a condescending way - I'd been stung in the workplace by similar things so by the time I went back to university, I was very, very aware).

Your department should obviously be doing more. Have you spoke to your course reps? Head of department? the SU, even?

ReputationRep:
    I would still have gone elsewhere quicker - but then I'd been about a bit and was older when I went back, so I knew how sickness could string out and those sorts of emails repeat indefinitely and to my detriment (I don't mean that in a condescending way - I'd been stung in the workplace by similar things so by the time I went back to university, I was very, very aware).

Your department should obviously be doing more. Have you spoke to your course reps? Head of department? the SU, even?
    With the first supervisor we naively believed the principal when she was emailing us saying she will be back next week.

Now that the other supervisor has gone off sick, I've just sent the principal a lengthy email. Not going mad or anything. But just explaining my situation and asking what is being done to resolve the problem. I have also asked if we are entitled to an extension due to having no supervisor for the foreseeable future.

To be honest our course has been forgotten about. The uni has started running a new psychology course which is accredited by the BPS so the uni don't really care about is because as soon as we graduate the course will be terminated.

I've just emailed her and said look I know it's not your fault and I know that it can't be helped when staff are off sick. But are you really telling me that there was no plans in place in the event of staff sickness? It is now February and I am still unclear on the topics for my dissertation due to supervisors telling me to change them. I've told her I'm in £47,543 debt and asked her if we can have an extension.

It's a joke I can't wait to finish and study a masters at another university!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 22, 2018

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.