Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to the Media Technology masters program, and was wondering how hard is it to get into? My CV has an eclectic background I have work experience in ABA therapy, computer science, and international relations. The only problem is my gpa is a bit low(2.8) and was wondering what chances do I have to get into Leiden?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainastein)
    I am applying to the Media Technology masters program, and was wondering how hard is it to get into? My CV has an eclectic background I have work experience in ABA therapy, computer science, and international relations. The only problem is my gpa is a bit low(2.8) and was wondering what chances do I have to get into Leiden?
    Where did you study in the US?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    Where did you study in the US?
    Yes I did

ReputationRep:
    I get that, but where? this really matters when applying in the Netherlands.

Unless its a brand name instuition they wont accept you....

they have two types of unis in the netherlands,

Polytechnics and Research unis... they will judge your uni on its ranking as to wether it is deemed equivalent to the dutch academic bachelor.

Leiden is a research uni... lots of competition and prestige seeking.

If you tell me where you studied i can give you a good guess,

Im german, grew up in america (us citizen also) and study in UK at a russell group (Nottingham) know alot about all three systems. UK/USA/Holland

ReputationRep:
    at
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    I get that, but where? this really matters when applying in the Netherlands.

Unless its a brand name instuition they wont accept you....

they have two types of unis in the netherlands,

Polytechnics and Research unis... they will judge your uni on its ranking as to wether it is deemed equivalent to the dutch academic bachelor.

Leiden is a research uni... lots of competition and prestige seeking.

If you tell me where you studied i can give you a good guess,

Im german, grew up in america (us citizen also) and study in UK at a russell group (Nottingham) know alot about all three systems. UK/USA/Holland

I studied at Cal State

ReputationRep:
    it will put you right at about a 2.2 on a UK scale, which for the UK wouldnt be enough they would look for around a 3.2 however the dutch might be slightly more lenient. As you are applying for a master as an international student, if you can bang out a great personal statement you should have a chance.

My biggest tip, dont write it like you would for the US, no one gives a **** about extracurriculars or societies, you can briefly touch on it, but primarily write an academic statement displaying your academic knowledge of the subject and why you would like to dive deeply in it, show some competency in the subject and express your interest. Above all make sure you write it extremely academic. School in europe is very different then the US its alot critical analysis and frankly its dry lol. They wouldnt even use US textbooks if global accredations werent connected to them, its a very matter of fact sort of university culture. Show them your aware of that and as a huge fee paying international student you have a good shot.

some background, a european would pay like me a german citizen 2,000 bucks for a master, you will pay around 12k for one year which is a huge steal in comparison to us tuition, but a ton of money for a dutch instuition!

so really your a valued commodity, just show your passion in a clear and academic way and you should be golden.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.