Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so my textbook tells me that nicotine reduces the diameter of arterioles. This increases the resistant for the blood to flow. So, blood supply to the hands and feet decreases. But would, a smaller diameter increase pressure? Wouldn't an increase in pressure lead to an increase in blood supply? What am I missing?

ReputationRep:
    What you said does make sense: however, you have to think about all the other arterioles in the body going other places. If it's harder for the blood to flow through one route, it will find another way, hence the lowered supply.
    Also, increased pressure doesn't increase the amount of blood going through, it's the same amount of blood just sped up a little due to the increased pressure. Does that make sense?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arcade22)
    What you said does make sense: however, you have to think about all the other arterioles in the body going other places. If it's harder for the blood to flow through one route, it will find another way, hence the lowered supply.
    Also, increased pressure doesn't increase the amount of blood going through, it's the same amount of blood just sped up a little due to the increased pressure. Does that make sense?
    So, when arterioles constrict, there is an increase in resistance which then causes the route of the blood to change. Okay, if that's the case, would that mean that all the arterioles doesn't constrict simultaneously? Let's say, just the arterioles at extremities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grizzelex)
    So, when arterioles constrict, there is an increase in resistance which then causes the route of the blood to change. Okay, if that's the case, would that mean that all the arterioles doesn't constrict simultaneously? Let's say, just the arterioles at extremities?
    Sorry my bad yeah you need to specify extremities because if all arterioles constructed at the same time, we would be in big trouble
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grizzelex)
    Okay, so my textbook tells me that nicotine reduces the diameter of arterioles. This increases the resistant for the blood to flow. So, blood supply to the hands and feet decreases. But would, a smaller diameter increase pressure? Wouldn't an increase in pressure lead to an increase in blood supply? What am I missing?
    Yes, increasing the resistance will decrease blood flow. And yes, vasoconstriction also increases the blood pressure within the arterioles which will partially offset the decrease in flow, however, the increase in pressure is not enough to overcome the increase in resistance and increase blood flow - so overall, blood flow goes down. Also, nicotine causes global vasoconstriction (i.e. vasoconstriction of arterioles all over the body), so there are no other 'routes' for the blood to go.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 22, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.