Turn on thread page Beta

Self study Alevels- exam clashes watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all.
    I am new to TSR but could really do with your help. Apologies if this post is a little long winded.
    I am considering self teaching three alevls over the next two years, as well as continuing my job.(I’m 19)
    I wish to study AQA Law and AQA Business and EDEXCEL Exonomics but am concerned about the exams.
    The new specifications mean that I would be taking a total of 10 exams in the summer of 2020. As a private candidate I have needed to source exam centres for this. I live in a rural part of England and so need to go to two separate colleges to take these exams.
    My concern is that if the exams clash, or are on the same day and are not at the same college I imagine I would I have to opt to fail one my courses. This is not something that I wish to do.
    Does anyone know what you would do in this case? Or can anyone recommend where to find the information? Would anyone recommend just taking the economics exam a year later?
    Thanks 😀

ReputationRep:
    Would they be able to make provisions for both exams to be written at one location?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grizzelex)
    Would they be able to make provisions for both exams to be written at one location?
    I did consider this, but both locations are very prestigious private schools. They weren’t all that happy to find out that I’d be doing exams at both given that they are rival competitors (both being all girls grammar schools). And both abruptly said no. Unfortunately given where I live there’s no where else that I could sit them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bert48’)
    I did consider this, but both locations are very prestigious private schools. They weren’t all that happy to find out that I’d be doing exams at both given that they are rival competitors (both being all girls grammar schools). And both abruptly said no. Unfortunately given where I live there’s no where else that I could sit them
    If your two chosen centres won't accommodate any clash and you have no other centres a bit further away that you could use then there nothing you can do about it except take a subject in a different exam session or rethink your subject choices.
    You could look at the timetable for exams this year and see if it has been an issue, although it's not guaranteed if it was ok this year then there is a good chance it will be ok next year.
    The draft timetables for summer 2019 will be published well in advance so you will know for sure.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    They are not competitors in this, apart from getting your money as your results have no effect on them. They won't care if you fail the lot but they will care if you mess them around and private candidates who enter at more than one centre cause problems, partly because of the issues round clashes. Have you actually asked either of them if they'll accept you for all the exams? It is by far the simplest solution to a potential clash. It is possible to transfer individual exams after entry but it is far more trouble than just entering you for the exam in the first place.

On the other hand, I doubt your subjects will clash - try checking this year's timetable. The same subjects tend to clash every year (Chemistry & RS, Geography & Electronics) so you may be stressing about nothing.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.