Turn on thread page Beta

Twitter deletes 1000s of Russian bots, alt-right loses 1000s of followers watch

ReputationRep:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/21/twitte...anish-7329362/

Heh.

ReputationRep:
    Why are these people complaining that they have lost fake followers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Because liberal conspiracy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Have you any evidence that all of the accounts deleted were bots?
    Twitter says that they only deleted Russian bots but do you know if that is the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    Have you any evidence that all of the accounts deleted were bots?
    Twitter says that they only deleted Russian bots but do you know if that is the case.
    No I don't have any evidence. But if Twitter are purging bot accounts surely it stands that these are fake accounts administrated by an algorithm and not a human. I know that not too long ago, you could buy Twitter followers to give your online profile authority. This seems very similar.

ReputationRep:
    Follower count can be used as a measure of influence, whether that's establishing your authenticity, trying to attract potential advertisers and sponsors or simply having d*ck measuring contests on the internet. Losing followers not only diminishes their current image, but also damages their ability to tout growth statistics when attracting partners or showing leftist cucks how superior you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Follower count can be used as a measure of influence, whether that's establishing your authenticity, trying to attract potential advertisers and sponsors or simply having d*ck measuring contests on the internet. Losing followers not only diminishes their current image, but also damages their ability to tout growth statistics when attracting partners or showing leftist cucks how superior you are.
    Totally agree. But surely the system loses crediblity if groups of influence have fictitious numbers of followers? Surely it is in the majority interest for follower counts to be accurate?

ReputationRep:
    no twitter is just dumb

even I got locked out of my account. Twitter is now demanding you hand over your number to be able to use your account.

I can no longer view tweets with out logging in, if I create an account and just follow 1 person, I get locked out for automated behavior

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree. But surely the system loses crediblity if groups of influence have fictitious numbers of followers? Surely it is in the majority interest for follower counts to be accurate?
    In an ideal world, yes. But if the only way to get your follower count high enough for anyone to consider you a credible pundit and not just a bigot with a fondness for 140 characters then they're going to pad the numbers.

ReputationRep:
    For what reason?

A non-issue. Fake followers will add no value to anyone. A person with 1500 followers and 500 fakes will still have a reach of 1500 individuals whether the fakes are deleted or not.

So far as I am aware, the only reason they're protesting is because apparently accounts were deleted for anyone who 'displayed similarities to algorithmic behaviour' and that included people who only had twitter accounts and only got involved in politics threads and that was overwhelmingly skewed towards the right.

Not that I care as I don't use twitter. Insta(gram)politics is a much nicer environment with less "GET CANCER YOU CUCK" and "EAT **** YOU FERAL BIGOT"
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Because they were under the false illusion that they were important.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    In an ideal world, yes. But if the only way to get your follower count high enough for anyone to consider you a credible pundit and not just a bigot with a fondness for 140 characters then they're going to pad the numbers.
    In which case it follows that no one has credibility, no one is believed and the platform is shunned as unreliable.

ReputationRep:
    In which case it follows that no one has credibility, no one is believed and the platform is shunned as unreliable.
    Thankfully it's within Twitter's best interest to root out and purge bots like they have here and have done over the years, allowing the platform as a whole to remain credible.

ReputationRep:
    Breitbart was created in Israel and is often called alt-right

But I thought alt-right were Nazis

Hmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vlessed)
    Breitbart was created in Israel and is often called alt-right

But I thought alt-right were Nazis

Hmm
    Well technically Breitbart as an entity was created in America by an American, who decided to expand the establish the site as an original journalistic outlet while on a trip to Israel. To call it an Israeli site would not be accurate.

Not that any of that matters given that the site was self-described as an alt right platform by its CEO at the time and produces content that is sympathetic to alt right issues and figures.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What about the America, Chinese, German, North Korean, Ukrainian, British etc. etc. bots? This seems xenophobic! :fuhrer:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.