The Student Room Group

White people and Oxford/Cambridge

So I'm a first year college student and I really want to go to Cambridge! I'm pretty sure I have the grades and I've got enough extracurricular **** on my personal statement but I'm really scared...

I genuinely don't know if I'll be able to handle all the white people there.

I know, I know, it sounds racist and whatnot, but I've lived in an area filled with people of colour almost my entire life. And the few times I've been around mostly white people (trips and stuff), they always end up saying something like "well why can't white people say the n-word" or making a wellmeaning but lowkey offensive comment about my cultural clothing. I don't know if I have the energy to deal with white people making comments like that for three years.

I know eventually, I'll have to get used to being around mostly white people and being a minority, but throwing myself in headfirst into a white university whilst being hours away from my family and still carrying a bag load of mental illnesses doesn't sound smart.

Ugh I just don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by farahhh24
So I'm a first year college student and I really want to go to Cambridge! I'm pretty sure I have the grades and I've got enough extracurricular **** on my personal statement but I'm really scared...

I know, I know, it sounds racist and whatnot, but I've lived in an area filled with people of colour almost my entire life. And the few times I've been around mostly white people (trips and stuff), they always end up saying something like "well why can't white people say the n-word" or making a wellmeaning but lowkey offensive comment about my cultural clothing. I don't know if I have the energy to deal with white people making comments like that for three years.

I know eventually, I'll have to get used to being around mostly white people and being a minority, but throwing myself in headfirst into a white university whilst being hours away from my family and still carrying a bag load of mental illnesses doesn't sound smart.

The UK is a very diverse country and most unis will have people from all over the world never mind all over the UK. Everyone exists in this world and you have to learn to get along with people who are people irrespective of their skin colour. If you want to go to Oxbridge and have the grades to get in apply.
Reply 2
There are hardly any white people in Oxford or Cambridge, don't forget more foreign people go there than English people. Last time I was in Oxford, the only white person I saw was the porter in New College.
Reply 3
It doesn't sound racist. It is racist.
Hey! Can't direct for Oxford so much but please please please check out some of the following:

Contacting the BME officers of colleges/the student union

Check out things like Target Oxbridge

Lookout for BME conferences at colleges and university wide ones

If you're a woman or nb there is also FLY at Cambridge

Plus there are societies/organised things for all kinds of culture backgrounds/nationalities/heritage, everything from iSoc if you're muslim to FLY for all poc's to India/pakistani/Bangladeshi/etc societies who all put on their own events.

I can't speak for the experience being white, but do contact these various groups who can help, support you and give you honest advice and guidance with regards to it :smile:
Reply 5
There are all races and relevant societies in oxbirdge
Oxford's undergraduate student population contains a greater proportion from ethnic minorities than is the case for the country as a whole. That is even more true when you add graduates.

Original post by Maker
There are hardly any white people in Oxford or Cambridge, don't forget more foreign people go there than English people. Last time I was in Oxford, the only white person I saw was the porter in New College.

Not sure if serious?

Obviously most Oxford students, and >80% of undergraduates, are British.

Its not LSE.
Reply 7
Original post by Maker

uhhhhhhh no offence dude but I've visited both Oxford and Cambridge and they are majority white students
Reply 8
Original post by MJ1012
It doesn't sound racist. It is racist.

being afraid of discrimination isn't the same as hating a group of people for their race
Reply 9
Original post by Paralove
Hey! Can't direct for Oxford so much but please please please check out some of the following:

Contacting the BME officers of colleges/the student union

Check out things like Target Oxbridge

Lookout for BME conferences at colleges and university wide ones

If you're a woman or nb there is also FLY at Cambridge

Plus there are societies/organised things for all kinds of culture backgrounds/nationalities/heritage, everything from iSoc if you're muslim to FLY for all poc's to India/pakistani/Bangladeshi/etc societies who all put on their own events.

I can't speak for the experience being white, but do contact these various groups who can help, support you and give you honest advice and guidance with regards to it :smile:

Thank you so much!!! I'll definitely look into these societies more! I gotta say, knowing there's so many societies targeted at minorities does make me feel a little less intimidated
Reply 10
Original post by alleycat393
The UK is a very diverse country and most unis will have people from all over the world never mind all over the UK. Everyone exists in this world and you have to learn to get along with people who are people irrespective of their skin colour. If you want to go to Oxbridge and have the grades to get in apply.

It's not an issue of me not getting along with them, I'm afraid they won't want to get along with me as a queer African Muslim
It's not an issue of me not getting along with them, I'm afraid they won't want to get along with me as a queer African Muslim

I honestly doubt if many people at Oxbridge would care about that to be honest.

If you go in with a chip on your shoulder you will struggle. If you go in with the will to integrate you will be fine. Good luck!

As a British ethnic Oxford alumna (I'm of Sinhalese/Sri Lankan origin) who lives in a very diverse city (London), I want to reassure you a bit! As has been mentioned there are loads of societies for specific cultural groups and religions. I think most colleges have some kinda LGBTQ+ soc too!

I'm not gonna lie to you - there aren't lots of black British students at Oxford. You may find you're the only person in your course or in your college's year group from that ethnic background. That doesn't mean you will be discriminated against though! Most people are friendly regardless of their race, and you shouldn't feel excluded due to your race or religion, or being queer. In the unlikely event that you do encounter racism, I assure you that Oxford Uni takes it very seriously and fairly swiftly if it's reported.

What concerns me more about you applying is what you say about your mental health. That to me at least is something that needs to be given more thought and research into how Oxford (or Cambridge) would support you and whether you would feel it adequate/sufficient for your particular needs :yes:

Don't go Oxbridge, if you can find comfortability in the environment. You'd go to Oxbridge because it SUITS YOU. Otherwise applying to Oxbridge would be a wasteful application if you cannot adapt or find the environment mentally benefiting. If you don't "like" the demographic, don't go.

N.B Oxbridge don't care about Extracurricular: (It says under their admissions page) lol

I know that there are mostly white people in Cambridge, but they are all intelligent so they wouldn't try to offend you, because that wouldn't be logical. Just think about it... Would these retards that offend you get accepted in Cambridge??? Cambridge is only for people with respect and they would never try to do something to disrespect your cultural background :smile: And even if they do don't care much about that, because you will know that those people who waste their time annoying and making people angry you will achieve academical success :wink: BTW GOOD LUCK FOR THE APPLICATION!!!!
While I can't comment on Oxford, I can say Cambridge as a city is moderately diverse - this does seem to extend to the university to some extent. It certainly appears more diverse than I found Exeter to be (both university and city).

This may vary a bit between college but undoubtedly at any college (Pembroke included, despite not infrequently getting headlines locally and, last year, nationally, for all the wrong reasons relating to these issues) there will be communities you can associate with and relate to. Some are more obviously open to such communities - Emmanuel's chapel was apparently the first to hold a gay marriage in the country, and they regularly fly the pride flag, and Murray Edwards has changed it's policy on accepting trans women to do so without imposing any requirements on the women in question.

So change happens, sometimes faster and sometimes slower, but you should certainly consider the university without having to worry too much about it :smile:
Kinda racist my dude...

Also, societies such as ACS etc do exist, and there are actually people of colour in Cambridge just as in any other university. Not all white people will be like “why can’t we use the n word”, in fact very few do so I don’t see why it should be a problem (you could also just ignore it and secure a world class education).

Ultimately don’t be put off, if you’re good enough apply, and represent for the culture
Reply 18
Original post by HeadHoncho
Kinda racist my dude...

Also, societies such as ACS etc do exist, and there are actually people of colour in Cambridge just as in any other university. Not all white people will be like “why can’t we use the n word”, in fact very few do so I don’t see why it should be a problem (you could also just ignore it and secure a world class education).

Ultimately don’t be put off, if you’re good enough apply, and represent for the culture

It's not racist to be scared of discrimination, but thanks. I guess it would be nice to be able to represent my culture and make other ethnic students more confortable!
Reply 19
Original post by tervelplayz
I know that there are mostly white people in Cambridge, but they are all intelligent so they wouldn't try to offend you, because that wouldn't be logical. Just think about it... Would these retards that offend you get accepted in Cambridge??? Cambridge is only for people with respect and they would never try to do something to disrespect your cultural background :smile: And even if they do don't care much about that, because you will know that those people who waste their time annoying and making people angry you will achieve academical success :wink: BTW GOOD LUCK FOR THE APPLICATION!!!!

Thank you so much!!!! I didn't even think about that! Yeah it's less likely that they're going to be racist then, thank you so so so much

Latest