Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Diesel car for 10miles/dar during weekdays and 300 during weekend watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello y'all

I am close to buy this 2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 ECOnetic Diesel.
    Although, a mechanic friend told me that might be unwise, since on average I will be doing 10miles (tops) a day during the weekend and only long distances (200-300miles) during the weekend.

He told me the car wouldn't get to the right temperature to keep it clean.

Any inputs on this?

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing 2-300 miles at the weekend that should be fine as far as the diesel particulate filter is concerned, assuming that's mostly motorway or similar. Short journeys aren't great for an engine, but that's the case whether it's diesel or petrol. Perhaps a little worse for a diesel as they take longer to get up to temperature though, and that also means any fuel economy gains over the petrol equivalent will be reduced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    If you're doing 2-300 miles at the weekend that should be fine as far as the diesel particulate filter is concerned, assuming that's mostly motorway or similar. Short journeys aren't great for an engine, but that's the case whether it's diesel or petrol. Perhaps a little worse for a diesel as they take longer to get up to temperature though, and that also means any fuel economy gains over the petrol equivalent will be reduced.
    So, in theory if I do that much during the weekend (yeah, mostly motorway) I should be ok?

ReputationRep:
    I was also thinking of doing a 20/30min drive every wednesday just to be safe?

The long journeys at the weekend should be fine. The problems come when people just do 5-10 miles a day, every day for months on end.

ReputationRep:
    You could get an economical petrol which would probably be better.

ReputationRep:
    I only drive a couple of miles to work and back on week days in my TDI. We'll usually rack up 50 miles over a weekend though, which includes booting it past slow lorries on the hills, sometimes a couple of hundred if we're going away to see friends. Been doing that for the last year and no issues yet.

As long as you stretch its legs every week or so to blow the gunk out of the system you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Most modern diesels have diesel particulate filters fitted. They need to have a good run every now and then to burn the soot out of the filter, which they can't do if they only do short journeys and the filter clogs which is (generally) expensive. That won't be an issue with your long journey most weekends.

Short journeys also mean the engine spends more time running below it's optimal temperature, which leads to things like condensation in the exhaust and gummed up exhaust gas recirculation systems. That will take years to become a problem though.

ReputationRep:
    Just bought my first car in UK (from Portugal)

The adrenaline!

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 TDCI 2010.
    80,000 miles, amazing MOT history (the times it failed it was because of the light on the registration plate ahah) and 1 year warranty for £3,800.

Had some minor scratches the the front bump had a crack. The dealership is going to sort all that out for free, which is amazing

£20 tax and £760 insurance.
    Can't complain
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by EBastos)

The adrenaline!

80,000 miles, amazing MOT history (the times it failed it was because of the light on the registration plate ahah) and 1 year warranty for £3,800.

Had some minor scratches the the front bump had a crack. The dealership is going to sort all that out for free, which is amazing

Can't complain
    Paid a bit over the odds there mate
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

The adrenaline!

Can't complain
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    I think the exact same thing... You've paid too much for that car IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)

The adrenaline!

Can't complain
    Its from portugal so prices may be on the increase compared to england idk im taking a wild assumption to this
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Nazzyspazzy)
    Its from portugal so prices may be on the increase compared to england idk im taking a wild assumption to this
    I think OP meant they were from Portugal originally, and they've moved here - this is the first car they've bought in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I think OP meant they were from Portugal originally, and they've moved here - this is the first car they've bought in the UK.
    idk either way it sounds dodgy

ReputationRep:
    idk either way it sounds dodgy
    What's dodgy about me? o.O

Such a bold and offensive comment...

ReputationRep:
    In good condition? I beg to differ.

I've "scouted" similar specs for 3 weeks and the average was 4k. Not to mention this is a Zetec and TDCI

ReputationRep:

The price you paid for the car is dodgy not you personally
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    In good condition? I beg to differ.

I've "scouted" similar specs for 3 weeks and the average was 4k. Not to mention this is a Zetec and TDCI
    Probably in better condition (with no holes in the bumper either), and with lower miles.

Think you've probably mis-interpreted his comment, I'm sure the last thing he meant to do was offend you.

ReputationRep:
    Probably in better condition (with no holes in the bumper either), and with lower miles.

Think you've probably mis-interpreted his comment, I'm sure the last thing he meant to do was offend you.
    That is being sorted out by them as well... and all aesthetics "problems" were all minor but I still asked to get it all sorted and immaculate

Well, I won't say with 100% no. But I won't do +50miles each way to buy a car that's under £4k

I looked on a radius of 100miles and didn't see anything.

Believe me, we did a thorough check on the car and all MOTs were a Pass.

Rear tyres brand new

P.S.: trusted source from one of my best mates here and on Google reviews, it has 4.9 with 500 reviews. I don't mind to pay £200-300 more if it means I am getting my car from a reliable source

ReputationRep:
    The price you paid for the car is dodgy not you personally
    Sorry for misinterpreting.

Dodgy by how high or low it was?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.