Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR, hope everyone's having a good day so far!
    So, just before we broke up for half term, we got our official exam timetables. Unfortunately, there's an error on mine which has been a real concern for me since I've gotten it.
    Basically, at the start of this academic year, (so around September), I dropped RE. However, on my exam timetable, the RE exams have appeared. Due to this, my concern has become that I have been entered in for the RE exam. What I fear this will mean is that if I don't show up to the exam (even though I'm not even doing RE), I may get a U, which could bring down my grade average substantially (I think it's to do with that attainment 8 scheme or whatever it's called).

I'm not entirely shocked by this; my school's senior leadership team are extremely flaky and unreliable people. They've been extremely difficult about me dropping RE, despite the fact that legally it is my right to drop it without reason.

I fear that they may have entered me into the RE exam without telling me either out of ignorance or are forcing me to take the exam for the sake of league tables, disregarding my wishes entirely. I would like to think it was just a mistake (we all make them!), but given SLT's track record, I can't help but feel it may be deliberate.

Regardless, I would really appreciate any advice from you guys.
    Have a great day,
    Mia

ReputationRep:
    I believe today, or sometime this week, was the deadline for the exams officers to submit the final entries to the exam boards. If you have been entered, you'd likely have to pay a cancellation fee.

Why didn't you say something as soon as you noticed though?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You've waited a long time to bring this up. Why didn't you talk to your exams officer the moment you saw the mistake?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegalaxy)
    I believe today, or sometime this week, was the deadline for the exams officers to submit the final entries to the exam boards. If you have been entered, you'd likely have to pay a cancellation fee.

Why didn't you say something as soon as you noticed though?
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    You've waited a long time to bring this up. Why didn't you talk to your exams officer the moment you saw the mistake?
    Our school's SLT takes a long time to respond to things. As I've said, they're extremely flaky. It would have been unwise to speak to them the day we got the exam timetables (the last day of term) as I knew for a fact that they would have said "we'll do it over the holidays" and do nothing. I've been in an extremely similar situation before with SLT and they did that exact thing. Simply put, I don't trust them to do it over the holidays, they'd postpone/forget about it. It would just make sense to do it as soon as we got back given the circumstances.

What can be done at this point? Thanks for any advice you have btw, this has been slightly worrying for me so I'm really grateful for you taking the time out of your day to offer advice
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Talk to your school when you have the chance. Your form tutor would be a good person to approach.

You don't need to worry about your grade average or progress 8 or any of that - it's for your school's assessment, not your own.

You may need to now pay a fee to be withdrawn from the subject. It is not in your school's interest to submit a student for assessment who hasn't been sufficiently prepped for it. It doesn't look good for them and your head of RE won't be too happy having a student unlikely to obtain a good grade (whatever that may mean to your school and/or you) on their subject analysis.

Talk to your school. It's in everyone's interest that you don't sit those exams.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mikos)
    Our school's SLT takes a long time to respond to things. As I've said, they're extremely flaky. It would have been unwise to speak to them the day we got the exam timetables (the last day of term) as I knew for a fact that they would have said "we'll do it over the holidays" and do nothing. I've been in an extremely similar situation before with SLT and they did that exact thing. Simply put, I don't trust them to do it over the holidays, they'd postpone/forget about it. It would just make sense to do it as soon as we got back given the circumstances.

What can be done at this point? Thanks for any advice you have btw, this has been slightly worrying for me so I'm really grateful for you taking the time out of your day to offer advice
    Go to your headteacher and insist it be dealt with. You need to be assertive and make sure it happens. Keep nagging them and chasing them for answers and results. Don't be afraid to be annoying - you need to get this sorted asap.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Talk to your school when you have the chance. Your form tutor would be a good person to approach.

You don't need to worry about your grade average or progress 8 or any of that - it's for your school's assessment, not your own.

You may need to now pay a fee to be withdrawn from the subject. It is not in your school's interest to submit a student for assessment who hasn't been sufficiently prepped for it. It doesn't look good for themand your head of RE won't be too happy having a student unlikely to obtain a good grade (whatever that may mean to your school and/or you) on their subject analysis.

Talk to your school. It's in everyone's interest that you don't sit those exams.
    Thank you so much for the detailed response!
    I really hope we don't have to pay a fee. It's the school's mistake, after all.
    I'm hoping that the timetables we were given are just "defaults", as everyone in our year was forced to do RE unless (like in my case) we've been given permission to drop it. I'll definitely speak to my school about it. Hopefully it is just an error and I haven't just been entered in!
    Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Go to your headteacher and insist it be dealt with. You need to be assertive and make sure it happens. Keep nagging them and chasing them for answers and results. Don't be afraid to be annoying - you need to get this sorted asap.
    Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely take it into account There's another girl in my year in my exact same position, so hopefully we'll have strength in numbers, and if the situation is as bad as I feared, we can get them to cave in easier and co-operate.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Mikos)
    Thank you so much for the detailed response!
    I really hope we don't have to pay a fee. It's the school's mistake, after all.
    I'm hoping that the timetables we were given are just "defaults", as everyone in our year was forced to do RE unless (like in my case) we've been given permission to drop it. I'll definitely speak to my school about it. Hopefully it is just an error and I haven't just been entered in!
    Thanks for the advice!
    Fingers crossed that's the case! Each school will work differently so it's completely plausible that that is the case. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If it's a timetable with your candidate number etc on it then it will mean that you are entered for the GCSE but it's probably just an admin error as you still appear in that class so there is no need to start complaining to the head. Talk to whoever was involved in the agreement to drop it (your head of year?) and ask them to ask the Exam Officer to withdraw you. It is still within the window for the school to be able to withdraw you and get a full refund so it isn't a major problem.

As general advice, if there is ever a problem with exam entries then talk to someone ASAP as the cost implications of delaying can be significant - e.g. the price for a late GCSE entry for a single student on 22 Feb is about £40 more than one the day before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    If it's a timetable with your candidate number etc on it then it will mean that you are entered for the GCSE but it's probably just an admin error as you still appear in that class so there is no need to start complaining to the head Talk to whoever was involved in the agreement to drop it (your head of year?) and ask them to ask the Exam Officer to withdraw you. It is still within the window for the school to be able to withdraw you and get a full refund so it isn't a major problem.
    I also suspected it would be an admin error. After all, it's just easier to throw everyone on a particular register into one exam than it is to individually type out each exam timetable.
    Thanks, I'll speak to them, I'm just worried they might flake on me as they've done in the past.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.