Turn on thread page Beta

past papers from other exam board BIOLOGY watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am looking at some past papers
    I am doing AQA GCSE triple science Biology
    I am also printing some past papers frp, OCR EDEXCEL Igcse WEJEC to try answer some tricky questions
    Is this a waste of time?
    Please can I have your thoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laboromniavincit)
    Hi I am looking at some past papers
    I am doing AQA GCSE triple science Biology
    I am also printing some past papers frp, OCR EDEXCEL Igcse WEJEC to try answer some tricky questions
    Is this a waste of time?
    Please can I have your thoughts
    This can be both pointless and useful at the same time. Pointless in the fact that you could be wasting your times working on questions that focus on slightly different aspects of the same topic. For example in AQA Biology GCSE in the eye in the specification goes into a lot more detail about the eye muscles than the Edexcel Biology spec which is a more brief overview of the eye and how it works. (Spec ref AQA Biology 4.5.2.3. Edexcel Biology 2.15B, 2.16B and 2.17B) However this can be seen as a positive as other past paper questions can broaden your range of practice. As long as you make sure the specifications are similar for example the questions on the brain will cover the same content. Best of luck from the THS Team.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so I need to streamline and choose the topics in keeping with the spec ... thank you so much . If anyone else has any other pointer pls put forward your thoughts
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THS2018)
    This can be both pointless and useful at the same time. Pointless in the fact that you could be wasting your times working on questions that focus on slightly different aspects of the same topic. For example in AQA Biology GCSE in the eye in the specification goes into a lot more detail about the eye muscles than the Edexcel Biology spec which is a more brief overview of the eye and how it works. (Spec ref AQA Biology 4.5.2.3. Edexcel Biology 2.15B, 2.16B and 2.17B) However this can be seen as a positive as other past paper questions can broaden your range of practice. As long as you make sure the specifications are similar for example the questions on the brain will cover the same content. Best of luck from the THS Team.
    I am struggling to find legacy past papers on the new topics in aqa biology

ReputationRep:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...d-mark-schemes
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...gy/aqa-unit-1/
    Are these any good?

ReputationRep:
    I might have overlooked the specimen papers
    Thanks
    I want to get a 9 in biology
    Is that at all possible?

ReputationRep:
    Anything is possible, as long as your work hard there is absolutly no reason why you can't get a 9 in Biology or any of your other subjects. Whilst we are talking Biology is there anything else you would like help with, Tom @THS

ReputationRep:
    I wanted some advice
    I did some spider diagrams on biology B1 till b 6 but did not find it useful I have since started doing questions and answers as that is helping me think of answering methods perfecting it .. I am in yr 10 . I also have stopped doing flash cards as I am finding I need to put too much info at this point. Maybe I will do flash cards nearer to end of yr 10 as by then I wd hv condensed my info .. am I on the right track?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i must have missed that bit,

Flashcards: These are good idea when trying to learn short answer questions/definitions. However these aren't so good, as you have found out, at long answer questions. You may wish to keep chipping away at these so as you learn a topic create a set of flashcards for the key terms in that topic.
    Condensed notes: To help with this you may wish to try cornell notes. I would attach an example picture but it won't allow me to. [img]https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cornell+template&source =lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi x3P7vgLrZAhWKCsAKHbtaA***_AUICig B&biw=1366&bih=651#imgrc=zZYeF1K DqDUoNM:[/img]I have attached a template from the internet. In the section 1 write the rough topic. In the section 2 right the main content but in summerised form. Then in the section 3 write a summary of the topic. For each type of information i would use a colour, for example red for definitions and green for evaluations. I would complete 1 of these for each topic for example 1 for the nervous system, 1 for the cardiovasular system.

However based on the information given this sounds like a really sensible idea, esecially considering you are only in year 10. Based on this you seem to have more drive than half the year 11 at my school. Sounds like you have a pretty sorted plan, Tom @THS

ReputationRep:
    My mum is the driving force or shall I say shoving force .. we discuss topics together all three science subjects and she makes me literally learn the keywords and makes me write model answers and do chemistry calculations .. I hate the grilling but I benefit a lot at the end of the day .. she has made me have a good work ethic

ReputationRep:
    I have seen the cornell notes
    Thank you so much

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.