Turn on thread page Beta

Aeronautical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or Medicine watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Im a year 12 student currently preparing for my AS level exams. I am really unable to choose on a university course to apply for and to do wider reading around. I am thinking of applying to Cambridge and Imperial and any other three depending on the course that i would apply for to find the best. Out of the subjects i love Maths the most. I do physics, chemistry, biology and maths for my a levels. I do like chemistry as second best and physics as third most. Even though i dont like biology as much i do love reading around medical research news that really fascinates me. I like every aspect of maths except for sampling due to the excessive writing needed. I dont know which course to apply for oit of aeronautics, biomedical engineering and medicine and which unis apart from cambridge and imperial. Please help on course choices and also suggest wider reading and out of school activities for these courses. Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    From what you're saying you probably don't want to do medicine, and you're perhaps not prepared enough to make an application for it for next year also. In general you need to do a bit more reading up for the engineering subjects too but I will get back to that in a sec. You would really need to have had a doctor shadowing placement, volunteering in a hospital or otherwise getting to see what a doctor actually does by now in order to put forward a strong application for medicine. You will also have the UKCAT and BMAT tests to do, in the summer and November respectively. It's also a very bad idea to aim for Cambridge and Imperial for medicine as each medical school looks for wildly different things in their applicants and you need to apply to your strengths. As both of them require BMAT you put yourself at significant risk if you don't do well in that, as you don't know your scores until after you apply.

For engineering at Cambridge, you don't choose a specific subject, you do general engineering for the first two years then narrow it down after that. You will need to decide if this is something you want to do. It's great being able to delay the decision between bio and aero until later, but if you're not interested in things like Civil or Chemical then you will struggle (both aero and bio have significant mech and electronic content, so if you don't like one of those then they may not be right for you either).

For engineering in general there is also very little difference in the courses for universities within the top 20 or so, and so you don't get much out of going to Cambridge or Imperial. In fact, from unistats, students at those universities are less likely to get jobs in engineering than those at other universities.

If you love maths the most you may want to consider more mathematical engineering disciplines such as EEE, Control Engineering, or Engineering mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    It's not required but further maths is highly prefered for engineering at Cambridge
    Considering you like medicine and engineering, biomedical engineering is probably a good idea!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.