The Student Room Group

SKE Course - Am I classed as a student when I start one?

Hi all, new member here at TSR, but long time browser.
I've applied to begin a Secondary Maths PGCE this September, and been offered a place on the condition that I complete a 16 week SKE course starting in April.

Does anyone know if I am officially classed as a student at the moment that I start the SKE course? It's 25 hours a week of work I need to be building in a portfolio, which means I need to be quitting my current full-time job.

If I am classed as a student, I'll no longer be eligible to pay council tax, etc. Less concern for money for those 16 weeks!

Anyone any idea?
Don't think so. Are you doing an online SKE or attended SKE? If the former, you can probably continue working. My SKE was supposed to be 25 hours a week. In reality it took about 1.5 hours. It was a total let down but the money was nice.

Good luck!
You are classed as a student once you have enrolled with the university.

I don't think you'd have to quit your job unless you wanted to or you're doing 60hrs plus a week. 25hrs can easily be done as 5hrs each weekend day and then 2hrs each night after work. You can also take over 16 weeks to complete it, as long as you complete it before 31st August.

Obviously leave your job if you want to/can afford to, but don't feel like you have to!
Hi there, can I ask which SKE provider you are using for SEcondary online SKE provider you are using online please? I have mixed reviews for Vidlearn aand Tes. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.
Original post by petersham
Hi there, can I ask which SKE provider you are using for SEcondary online SKE provider you are using online please? I have mixed reviews for Vidlearn aand Tes. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Hi, I am using Vidlearn through Sussex University, as they were recommended by the university who gave me an offer. I have only just started, but so far I have found them to be quite helpful and efficient. They also seem more flexible than TES about application and start dates, which was a plus for me, as I wanted to start as soon as I could.

Another advantage for me as a prospective science teacher is that you get access to optional access to the two other sciences GCSE level courses, which I thought would be helpful to me!

What negatives have you heard about Vidlearn and TES?
It wasn't a negative as such re Vidlearn, but they didn't like the assessment process, which involved a lot of presentations, which they felt was not that useful for them. The actual course was consider helpful, but the assessment process was considered very time consuming. That was all. Great to hear you are enjoying your course. Anyone heard of Eureka Online for SKE?
Hi there, for those looking at SKE course, I am doing Eurekaonline for secondary maths, and I am really enjoying it, and would recommend it. There is, of course, the maths side, but the course also focuses a lot on how to teach the topic, with a forum for discussion. I meet once a fortnight with my tutor via Skype. The course is not a walk in the park/tick box exercise, and is thoughtful and the discussion are ones that I think I will be having on my actual PGCE course as well as on the job. Hope that helps anyone having to choose a SKE course.
Reply 7
Hello... I am supposed to start a 16 weeks SKE but the uni hasn't signed me up yet. What do I do? Does it really have to be finished by the 31st of Aug? I read somewhere you can do it still whilst starting the PGCE...

Thank You
Hi,

I am going to start my SKE course via vidlearn and its going to be 16 weeks long. I heard you are paid 200 per week but im wandering does that mean if I finish my course in 12 weeks does that mean I get paid on 12 weeks or secondary weeks?
Also has anyone used Vidlearn for secondary biology?? Im sitting my numeracy skills test and then I start SKE... Also is it possible to finish it in 12 weeks?
Sorry for asking so many questions!! But, everyone is so helpful! :h:
Hi Petersham
how was overall SKE experience with eureka, I am planning to do it with eureka, you must be on your PGCE course now, are you liking it?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by petersham
Hi there, for those looking at SKE course, I am doing Eurekaonline for secondary maths, and I am really enjoying it, and would recommend it. There is, of course, the maths side, but the course also focuses a lot on how to teach the topic, with a forum for discussion. I meet once a fortnight with my tutor via Skype. The course is not a walk in the park/tick box exercise, and is thoughtful and the discussion are ones that I think I will be having on my actual PGCE course as well as on the job. Hope that helps anyone having to choose a SKE course.

hi ik its been a while since u posted but going to give it a shot. im looking at eureka for my maths ske as well, what were the assessments like? and what was the course content? how do you pass the course? as much information would be appreciated
Original post by Trainee Teacher
Hi Petersham
how was overall SKE experience with eureka, I am planning to do it with eureka, you must be on your PGCE course now, are you liking it?

hi trainee teacher did u end up doing ur ske with eureka? im looking at eureka for my maths ske as well, what were the assessments like? and what was the course content? how do you pass the course? as much information would be appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending