Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what activity level do I put for daily calories? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to use the bodybuilding.com calorie calculator but I'm stuck on what activity level I am at. I do strength training 4 days a week (always pushing myself and sweating like crazy at the end of it). At the same time, I have an intense job which requires lifting and moving around and I work around 3x a week. I workout on days I have no work. I also cycle to get myself around (i.e. to and from work)

So what activity level would i be in? The ones listed on the website are as follow:

ACTIVITY LEVEL
    Lightly active (moderate exercise but sedentary job)
    Moderately active (intense exercise but sedentary job)
    Very active (moderate exercise and active job)
    Extra active (intense exercise and active job)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by storm95)
    I've been trying to use the bodybuilding.com calorie calculator but I'm stuck on what activity level I am at. I do strength training 4 days a week (always pushing myself and sweating like crazy at the end of it). At the same time, I have an intense job which requires lifting and moving around and I work around 3x a week. I workout on days I have no work. I also cycle to get myself around (i.e. to and from work)

So what activity level would i be in? The ones listed on the website are as follow:

ACTIVITY LEVEL
    Lightly active (moderate exercise but sedentary job)
    Moderately active (intense exercise but sedentary job)
    Very active (moderate exercise and active job)
    Extra active (intense exercise and active job)
    I would say you're extra active here.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go very active

But those calculators are just a starting guess.So I'd say if you want to loose weight go very and if you want to gain then go extra since it's more likely to have the desired results. Then like anyone using these, adjust according to what the scales tell you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I find the activity calculators massively inflate calorie levels burnt, so I always err on the side of caution.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say active - very active(assuming your bike ride isn't like 40km each way or something) as you do have an active job and work out but you're not marathon running and you don't work 5 days a week

really you only want to treat this as a starting point though and reevaulate based on weight changes/energy levels etc

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.