Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been accepted at Epsom UCA to do foundation art and design, however I am not sure if I truly want to do the course there...any current students or ex students to tell me what it's like doing the course?
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
    thanks <3

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know this is a bit late but hope it helps. I just finished at Epsom Foundation this year. Epsom foundation is a big course, so there are about 200 students, this gives it a kind of college vibe. The classes have about 40 in and so at the beginning, none of the tutors will know who you are. You get to try different art disciplines which is good, however you only get 3 days to try each one and you are not really taught any skill sets, for example in fashion, we were given a brief/small project and then we had to get on with it, even though I had never done anything in fashion before. (This is my opinion, some people may say that they liked the freedom of trying fashion design without being told exactly what to do). I would definitely say that the more effort you put in, the more you get out of it. However, the first 2 modules do not count towards your final grade, all you have to do is pass them (it is not that difficult to pass).

Personally I felt the lectures were a waste of time and a bit repetitive (I would leave feeling like I barely learnt anything) Also, there is a focus on progressing to UCA degree courses, so these are advertised in our lectures. I found this annoying because I did not want to progress there, but that just my opinion. Some students probably found it helpful if they did not know where to go or what course to do. They told us that it was mandatory to go and visit another UCA campus (as part of an organised trip) in order to pass the course, which I found frustrating as I already knew I wanted to go somewhere else. I personally did not like our course leader that much.

Having said all this, it is good to remember that the course is free and pretty much everyone in my class got onto their first choice degree course or another course. They have good facilities if you make the most of them, such as the workshop screen printing studio, and photography equipment/studios. It is really good if you know you want to do an art & design course in the future, it is a good step up from sixth form/college, and gives you an insight into the art and design world. It is at a university so you also have the benefit of a good library and the university facilities. It is fairly chilled out and not overly rigorous if that's what you want from the course, but also you need to work hard (mostly at the end) to do well. The tutors are experienced, however you are left alone to get on with your work.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions and remember this is just my opinion.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 1, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.