Turn on thread page Beta

Sit ups hurt my back??!? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have recently started doing sit ups to prepare for my military fitness test, but I cant do anywhere near what is expected, this is due to my back hurting after only 2 or 3 sit ups.

It gets so bad that after only about 10 I have to stop as my back hurts too much. I don't know why as I seem to be doing them correctly.
    My back also cracks when I do them, like a pop crack kind of noise.

I really need to resolve this issue as I don't want to damage my back, but also really want to pass this fitness so need to be able to do situps. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AST8781)
    I have recently started doing sit ups to prepare for my military fitness test, but I cant do anywhere near what is expected, this is due to my back hurting after only 2 or 3 sit ups.

It gets so bad that after only about 10 I have to stop as my back hurts too much. I don't know why as I seem to be doing them correctly.

I really need to resolve this issue as I don't want to damage my back, but also really want to pass this fitness so need to be able to do situps. Thanks.
    I trained my brother had the same issue but over time the back muscles espevially neck muscles will get stronger ... just keep doing it snd have plenty of good rest and recovery .. new things to your body always takes time ... maybe you could do alternative to strenthne core muscles aswells e.g machine abdominal excerise in gym, legs raises which will help core a lot anf make sots up easier .. core and back go well togeatherbecause if you think about you will need srong core to do back movements and need back for core movements ..trainong back in gym will definitely help too.. good luck for your test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AST8781)

i would suggest going to a chiropractor and also seeking medical assistance if not then make sure you warm up and cool down before and after doing it and do some yoga afterwards as well

ReputationRep:
    Is it your lower back? Start with crunches over full sit ups to begin with. Also stretch properly. Lie on your front and push up with you arms slowly (with everything below yyou waist pushing into the floor) this is a good lower back stretch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    Is it your lower back? Start with crunches over full sit ups to begin with. Also stretch properly. Lie on your front and push up with you arms slowly (with everything below yyou waist pushing into the floor) this is a good lower back stretch.
    yeah its my lower back, i will have to try that, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the replies and advice, i will try what you all suggested, i feel the reason could be becuase i have tight and weak back muscles, so maybe i should try alternative back and ab workouts to strengthen my back first and then go onto sit ups when im a bit stronger only got a month before my test though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.