Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have been living in this country since September 2014. I am looking to apply to university and on the date when my course that I want to study starts, I will have 4 years of residency in the UK. I am in full time education since I arrived in the country. My parents are both working full time, they both earn money and pay taxes. We have definitely moved to England with no intention whatsoever to go back to our native country.

As I don't have exactly 5 years of residency in the UK prior to the start date for my course, I am not entitled for any Maintenance Loan. I am only entitled to Student Loan.

Following this, is the no other way that I could get some extra help with my acommodation costs for Unversity even though I only have 4 years of residency in the UK?

Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Sharkynho)
    Hello,

I have been living in this country since September 2014. I am looking to apply to university and on the date when my course that I want to study starts, I will have 4 years of residency in the UK. I am in full time education since I arrived in the country. My parents are both working full time, they both earn money and pay taxes. We have definitely moved to England with no intention whatsoever to go back to our native country.

As I don't have exactly 5 years of residency in the UK prior to the start date for my course, I am not entitled for any Maintenance Loan. I am only entitled to Student Loan.

Following this, is the no other way that I could get some extra help with my acommodation costs for Unversity even though I only have 4 years of residency in the UK?

Thanks.
    Assuming you're an EU national then you could be eligible for a maintenance loan as the family member of an EU migrant worker living and working in the UK. It's a bit more complex to prove eligibility (SFE will want to see proof that one or both of your parents is working in the UK for the duration of your degree as well as proof of employment when you apply) but it sounds like you would be eligible.

Alternatively if you wait a year and defer entry to 2019 then you'll meet the 5 year rule and be eligible that way too.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello,

Thanks.
    Hi Sharkynho,

Can I ask, are you and your parents EU Nationals?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we are EU Nationals, we come from Romania.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Yes, we are EU Nationals, we come from Romania.
    Hi Sharkynho,

The EU Migrant Worker team assess students who do not meet the required standard 5 year residency requirements but the student or their EU/EEA family member are working in the UK.

SFE students who wish to apply as a Migrant Worker should apply as a full time home student online or by paper.

The application they should complete will be a PN1 if you are a new student.

Paper application should be posted to;

EU Migrant Worker Team
    Student Finance England
    PO Box 89
    Darlington
    DL1 9AZ

Thanks Rona

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.