The Student Room Group

PET Scans

Explain why the speed of response of the detectors will affect the resolution of the image (i.e. the amount of detail that can be seen in the image).
I have no idea on why the speed matters as long as their is a signal produced by the detectors.
Original post by znx
Explain why the speed of response of the detectors will affect the resolution of the image (i.e. the amount of detail that can be seen in the image).
I have no idea on why the speed matters as long as their is a signal produced by the detectors.

Detection of emitted photons from the tracer-decay, must be localised by temporal-pairs of photons arriving at the detectors which are spatially displaced 1800 apart.

The location of the decay is resolved by arrival of the photon pairs at the two detectors within a very tight time bounded window.

Clearly, the tighter the time window, then the more accurate the location will be as well as improving the signal to noise of the image produced as a result of reducing false detections.

The faster the detector can discriminate events, then the tighter the time window allowed to associate occurring pairs of photons, resulting in greater accuracy of imaging.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest