Turn on thread page Beta

Compelling Personal Reasons watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I currently applied to Winchester University for this coming year 2018. I have been offered places on all four courses which I was very overwhelmed with as I am turning 30yrs old this year and have been working full time!

But today whilst sorting out my Student Finance I am left utterly gutted. I have sent my application off, but called them to query a couple of things.

I attended university in September 2014 but unfortunately failed two modules which meant I had to resit first year.

I accepted this, but upon starting I attended my first lecture to find out that I was not eligible for funding, this was through NHS Bursary. This meant no help with childcare as I am a single parent. I had no choice other than to leave. I could not afford to attend and send my son to nursery, due to nursing placements (12 hour shifts etc) with no one to look after my son. I also didn’t know I had failed until that September so I had no idea about not being funded! I only found out when I started to re sit that year.

I was blissfully unaware that even though I only attended one day in September 15, that this accounts as a WHOLE year for student finance. Which obviously only leaves me with two years left.

I am gutted. I work full time but as a single parent I do not have £9,250 to pay for my first year. But I do want to better my life, to get a decent career for myself and my son.

I was told if I had left for compelling reasons that I could possibly be funded for this year. They gave an example of grievance or illness.

I did not want to leave university at all, but I had to, I had no other choice.

Please could someone advise me on this situation? I feel so sad after feeling so proud of myself that I was offered my places.

Thank you,

Harriet

ReputationRep:
    I have just looked back at emails. I did not find out I had failed until 19/9/15 I then have an email from NHS Bursary on the 24/9/15 that I had withdrawn from University. That is five days... I also know I didn’t even go to a lecture! How can this count as a whole year from student loans??
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by harrietkatie)
    Hello,

I currently applied to Winchester University for this coming year 2018. I have been offered places on all four courses which I was very overwhelmed with as I am turning 30yrs old this year and have been working full time!

But today whilst sorting out my Student Finance I am left utterly gutted. I have sent my application off, but called them to query a couple of things.

I attended university in September 2014 but unfortunately failed two modules which meant I had to resit first year.

I accepted this, but upon starting I attended my first lecture to find out that I was not eligible for funding, this was through NHS Bursary. This meant no help with childcare as I am a single parent. I had no choice other than to leave. I could not afford to attend and send my son to nursery, due to nursing placements (12 hour shifts etc) with no one to look after my son. I also didn’t know I had failed until that September so I had no idea about not being funded! I only found out when I started to re sit that year.

I was blissfully unaware that even though I only attended one day in September 15, that this accounts as a WHOLE year for student finance. Which obviously only leaves me with two years left.

I am gutted. I work full time but as a single parent I do not have £9,250 to pay for my first year. But I do want to better my life, to get a decent career for myself and my son.

I was told if I had left for compelling reasons that I could possibly be funded for this year. They gave an example of grievance or illness.

I did not want to leave university at all, but I had to, I had no other choice.

Please could someone advise me on this situation? I feel so sad after feeling so proud of myself that I was offered my places.

Thank you,

Harriet

Hi Harriet,

We have no access to specific accounts on The Student Room, I suggest that you contact us through Twitter or Face Book to look into this further.

We would need confirmation from the university that you did not take up your place or attend that academic year.

Regards Rona

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.