Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

So, I am a Portuguese student who definitely wants to study abroad. I have just received my 5th uni offer, but now I am a little divided on what to do!

I have applied to and received offers from the following unis:

- University of Manchester, International Management, AAB, *FIRM CHOICE 100%*
    - University of Leeds, International Business, AAA
    - University of Nottingham, International Management AAB
    - University of Exeter, Business and Management with International Study AAA
    - University of Birmingham, International Business AAB

My A-levels and Business, Psychology, and Portuguese, and I'm pretty sure I will get AAA, I'm working towards that and my AS results are in line with that. I was predicted A*AA even (the A* being in Psychology, but I think that was a little too much!).

Now, Manchester is my Firm choice and that's been decided for a long time. I visited it on its open day last week, I have accommodation pretty much sorted out, I'm totally in love with the uni, the city, and the place I am going to live in.

My 2nd favourite is Leeds. However, they are asking for AAA, so if I put them as an insurance and I don't even meet the requirements for Manchester, I'm definitely not getting in.

I applied to the other 3, but I don't love any of them, I don't really think I'd like to go there that much, I'm pretty sure I'd always resent not having gotten into Manchester... but if I did get into Leeds instead of Manchester I think I'd still be happy.

I thought of putting Nottingham as my insurance even though the requirements are the same as Manchester, but again, if I think I'd be unhappy going there instead, as I don't love the course... Should I risk it? I don't think so...

So I was looking for some advice. Do I put Leeds as an insurance? Nottingham? None?

ReputationRep:
    Leeds, obviously. An insurance you don't want or would be unhappy with is useless. And don't assume that if you don't get into Manchester you definitely won't get into Leeds; they all have different policies on acceptance if the conditions are not met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Leeds, obviously. An insurance you don't want or would be unhappy with is useless. And don't assume that if you don't get into Manchester you definitely won't get into Leeds; they all have different policies on acceptance if the conditions are not met.
    I'm thinking that might very well be the best decision too... My teacher is trying to get in contact with an old student who is currently in the Nottingham course, but still, even if I hear great things about it from her that won't change the modules of the course.
    Thank you for your advice!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.