Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
    As of last week I’m now on leave of absence from uni. I had an accident in November injuring my right shoulder and had to have time off my degree in Applied Arts. The recovery is going very slowly and I still don’t have an estimate return date so for now I’m on LoA but hoping to return in September.
    Obviously I understand I won’t get my student loans until I return but now I’m worried about my financial situation.
    Movement in my right arm is limited to the point where I need help dressing myself and washing my hair etc. Im right handed which makes it difficult to use my left hand for everything. I’m also taking a lot of pain medication everyday which makes me very drowsy and I’ve been falling asleep a lot in the day.
    I can’t even earn money from my Etsy shop as I can’t make any art to sell in there either.

A friend suggested applying for job seekers but I can’t apply if I’m unable to work right?
    And if I’ve understood correctly, I wouldn’t be able to get any sick pay or benefits as I wasn’t working before the injury?
    I’m not even sure if I’m still technically a student or not while on LoA so I don’t really know who I should be contacting about this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I don’t really know where to go from here.
    Sorry for the wall of text.
    Thanks.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Misslelli)
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
    As of last week I’m now on leave of absence from uni. I had an accident in November injuring my right shoulder and had to have time off my degree in Applied Arts. The recovery is going very slowly and I still don’t have an estimate return date so for now I’m on LoA but hoping to return in September.
    Obviously I understand I won’t get my student loans until I return but now I’m worried about my financial situation.
    Movement in my right arm is limited to the point where I need help dressing myself and washing my hair etc. Im right handed which makes it difficult to use my left hand for everything. I’m also taking a lot of pain medication everyday which makes me very drowsy and I’ve been falling asleep a lot in the day.
    I can’t even earn money from my Etsy shop as I can’t make any art to sell in there either.

A friend suggested applying for job seekers but I can’t apply if I’m unable to work right?
    And if I’ve understood correctly, I wouldn’t be able to get any sick pay or benefits as I wasn’t working before the injury?
    I’m not even sure if I’m still technically a student or not while on LoA so I don’t really know who I should be contacting about this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I don’t really know where to go from here.
    Sorry for the wall of text.
    Thanks.
    You can make a compelling personal reasons claim from SFE for up to 60 days discretionary finance.
    The key point is if you are still a student, then you cna ask the uni hardship fund as well whereas if you cease to be one, then you can fall on the benefits system. Be sure to have documentation to prove whats happened and youve left etc. GP, Uni.

You can apply for JSA, but they would take your advisability into account.

You will then need to get some benefits advice from CAB as to your entitlement and the appropriate benefit. You can also try step change or tyen2us.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/About-Us/Contact-us
    https://www.stepchange.org/Contactus.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. I’ll get in touch with student services and see if I still class as a student while on LoA.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.