Music BMus @ Edinburgh Uni
    60.00%
    Maths/ Music MA @ Glasgow Uni
    40.00%
    Music BA @ Durham
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for BMus and I'm stuck between the two unis. :musicus:

Glasgow is apparently no.1 for music research in Scotland and has a great musical location surrounded by places like RCS, the RSNO, BBC SSO etc.
    The downsides for me are it has a lower rankings than Edinburgh and seems to have a slanted reputation in England + the rest of the world.

Edinburgh on the other hand has an international reputation but I'm worried about specificities of the course. Needless to say Edinburgh's not known for its glowing Student Satisfaction and while looking though the modules I noticed a lot on modules at honours level were unavailable this year which I find really worrying :unsure: (I'm still waiting on an offer from them, but I'm planning on asking staff about this at the offer-holder's day if I get in). I'm also concerned about Edinburgh's lack of audition/ interview for BMus which is really strange, to me that just adds to the Student Satisfaction thing -- it feels like they couldn't care less about applications. I would also have to get a new piano teacher if I went to Edinburgh which is a pitfall and a half! However, I've got my eyes set on a couple of places in England for postgrad and feel like my applications would look more appealing if I picked Edinburgh.

I've got another unconditional offer for Maths/ Music MA at Glasgow, but I'm worried about not being able to take certain Music modules and having to take a 3rd subject like Philosophy in 1/2nd year so idk about that. Idk how appealing a joint degree looks for postgrad either but I think Scottish MA's are looked on highly elsewhere?

I've got an offer for Durham for AB at Advanced Higher but I'm Scottish and I can't find a way to fund myself so that's out of the question. :sad:

What do you think? (I've added a wee poll for efficiency)

ReputationRep:
    The_Lonely_Goatherd What do you think?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The uni you did your undergrad at doesn't really matter when applying for postgrads - what will count is being able to get strong references and having a stellar academic transcript.

I don't know much about Scottish unis and have not heard anything about Scottish MAs being looked highly upon, personally (but then I'm only one person ). Changing piano teacher does sound like faff.

I think you should go with whichever course content you prefer :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    The uni you did your undergrad at doesn't really matter when applying for postgrads - what will count is being able to get strong references and having a stellar academic transcript.

I don't know much about Scottish unis and have not heard anything about Scottish MAs being looked highly upon, personally (but then I'm only one person ). Changing piano teacher does sound like faff.

I think you should go with whichever course content you prefer :yep:
    Thank you!

I think I'm erring towards Glasgow at this point.
    What about the joint degree? Do you think that would be off-putting when applying for postgrad?

The MA means taking 3 subjects in 1st and 2nd year and Maths&Music in 3rd and 4th. I think if I did do the MA I'd probably take Maths, Music and Philosophy for those years, but diluting my music seems a bit naff if postgrads the goal. It means I can't take some BMus-only modules as well.

ReputationRep:
    @The_Lonely_Goatherd I want to give you more rep but TSR won't let me :ashamed:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by thewrongofsummer)
    Thank you!

I think I'm erring towards Glasgow at this point.
    What about the joint degree? Do you think that would be off-putting when applying for postgrad?

The MA means taking 3 subjects in 1st and 2nd year and Maths&Music in 3rd and 4th. I think if I did do the MA I'd probably take Maths, Music and Philosophy for those years, but diluting my music seems a bit naff if postgrads the goal. It means I can't take some BMus-only modules as well.
    Haha no worries about the rep :hugs:

In terms of doing postgrad, it depends what postgrad you wanna do! If you're looking to do a composition postgrad, I don't think it matters too much.

Afaik it is possible to get onto musicology postgrad courses with a joint degree, but you'd more likely have a better grounding for a musicology MA/MSt with single honours music :yes:

ReputationRep:
    That's me just got an unconditional from Edinburgh now.
    @The_Lonely_Goatherd thanks for all your advice. I'm going to e-mail Glasgow and Edinburgh admissions about some questions I have
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by thewrongofsummer)
    That's me just got an unconditional from Edinburgh now.
    @The_Lonely_Goatherd thanks for all your advice. I'm going to e-mail Glasgow and Edinburgh admissions about some questions I have
    Now I can't give you more rep :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the offers. Edinburgh has had a recent refurbishment but I think Glasgow is better overall for anything creative!

Good luck either way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossyJ3)
    Congrats on the offers. Edinburgh has had a recent refurbishment but I think Glasgow is better overall for anything creative!

Good luck either way
    Thanks!
    It looks like Edinburgh's messing around with its course structure a bit as well -- which I'm not really a fan of.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.