Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello, i'm a student in A level and i took two subjects physics and maths and i need to know what are the grades that i need to achieve to be accepted to a university for studying theoretical physics.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This will vary considerably depending on which university you choose to apply to - Portsmouth will have much more flexible entry criteria than say, Oxford.

I would suggest thinking about which universities you may wish to apply to, and looking on their webpages to see what entry criteria they list. This is usually indicative, although some are more flexible than their webpages may suggest (this is usually true of "mid tier" universities whose applicant cohorts tend to fluctuate year on year and some years they may be more open to making lower offers or considering "near misses" after application day).

In general though, you should do as well as you can, especially in Maths - you may also wish to consider taking AS or A-level Further Maths, if available (the Further Maths Support Group may be able to help arrange something if you are in the UK and your school is unable to offer the subject).

I would note, if you're applying to foundation year courses leading to Physics degrees, they will probably be mainly concerned with your Maths background. However be aware some providers of such courses don't consider applications from those who have taken the "correct" subjects but failed to get the grades to go directly onto the main degree programme. You may wish to contact the universities directly if this is the case to clarify their position and what they may be expecting from you - foundation year programmes often have more applications from students with "non-standard" educational backgrounds and often are more likely to consider individual circumstances. This of course varies, but that was certainly my experience...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muqu)
    hello, i'm a student in A level and i took two subjects physics and maths and i need to know what are the grades that i need to achieve to be accepted to a university for studying theoretical physics.
    You will need to contact unis individually as they may or may not accept 2 A-levels and another problem is a good chunk of foundation years only accept students that dont have the correct subjects for normal entry (which you do, you just dont do enough A-levels) making your options narrower but there may still be some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    You will need to contact unis individually as they may or may not accept 2 A-levels and another problem is a good chunk of foundation years only accept students that dont have the correct subjects for normal entry (which you do, you just dont do enough A-levels) making your options narrower but there may still be some.
    well.. i took math,physics and chemistry in AS level then dropped chemistry in A level and sticked with physics and maths only

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.