How should I approach the unseen poetry? Watch

hduffy13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m doing my mocks tomorrow and I need some good advise for what to look out for with the unseen poetry questions and how to approach them. Help
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the old SLIME and PEE would seem to apply;

SLIME referring to "Structure, Language, Interpretation, Meaning, and Effect" as a way to approach analysing the poem, and PEE meaning "Point, Evidence, Explain" as a way to structure your response - having each paragraph (or where applicable, sentence) beginning by stating the point you're making (from your SLIME approach), referring to the evidence from the text (quoting the relevant line etc) and then explaining how the evidence supports your point.

While you will likely extend your response beyond this, as a starting point this is a useful structure to work with for unseen texts so you're not completely dropping in out of the blue
hduffy13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
the old SLIME and PEE would seem to apply;

SLIME referring to "Structure, Language, Interpretation, Meaning, and Effect" as a way to approach analysing the poem, and PEE meaning "Point, Evidence, Explain" as a way to structure your response - having each paragraph (or where applicable, sentence) beginning by stating the point you're making (from your SLIME approach), referring to the evidence from the text (quoting the relevant line etc) and then explaining how the evidence supports your point.

While you will likely extend your response beyond this, as a starting point this is a useful structure to work with for unseen texts so you're not completely dropping in out of the blue
Thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads