The Student Room Group

Getting through the last month of a job I hate?

I'm 17 and have been in this part time job just over four months. It was a bad decision on my part, because I'm currently doing my A-Levels. I posted a separate question about my manager etc a while ago, but to shorten it down, this job has really impacted my mental health. I literally wake up on mornings wanting to die and going to work after school, I just have this tight feeling in my stomach. I spend the whole week dreading it. While on the job, I'm under so much stress that I literally cannot talk without stuttering.

By some stroke of luck, I managed to tell my manager that I wouldn't be able to work anymore due to my studies and I officially leave at the end of next month.

This might sound incredibly lame but I need genuine advice, or words of motivation. I have 6 more weeks left and just thinking about it is driving me a bit crazy. I hate this job an unimaginable amount.....
you can absolutely manage this

now you know you're leaving the pain has an end date which makes it SO much more manageable... you're counting down the hours tilt tjere is no more shifts left

if stuff happens which upsets you then try and roll your eyes and just say to yourself that it might be the last time

if you're under pressure try and take some off yourself and relax a bit, if you're not performing at 100% in your notice period it's not the end of the world... obviously don't take the piss but most of the pressure comes from oh no I'm going to get fired and tbh what's the worst that happens here? they say don't bother finishing the notice... you can just see that as a positive

just count up the money yo're going to make and take it a day at a time
Original post by doodle_333
you can absolutely manage this

now you know you're leaving the pain has an end date which makes it SO much more manageable... you're counting down the hours tilt tjere is no more shifts left

if stuff happens which upsets you then try and roll your eyes and just say to yourself that it might be the last time

if you're under pressure try and take some off yourself and relax a bit, if you're not performing at 100% in your notice period it's not the end of the world... obviously don't take the piss but most of the pressure comes from oh no I'm going to get fired and tbh what's the worst that happens here? they say don't bother finishing the notice... you can just see that as a positive

just count up the money yo're going to make and take it a day at a time

Thanks a lot, it's still hard but having a definitive end date is DEFINITELY making it easier !!
It's weird reading this because this sums up completely how I feel. I was supposed to be leaving my job at the end of the month to be focusing on exams but my managers are making me stay till the end of march and my hours for next month are appalling, some of them are during my school hours but since I thought I was going to be gone I couldn't get first choice of hours. I feel so hopeless right now every time I go to work I have to fight the urge not to walk into traffic and I don't know how I'm going to make it through the next few weeks. My plan is to organise every minute of my life so I can fit in working and my exam revision. Fighting the psychological affects is going to be difficult but I'm just trying to maintain the philosophy that there is light at the end of this tunnel.
Original post by Anygy
Thanks a lot, it's still hard but having a definitive end date is DEFINITELY making it easier !!

Yeah. I've been in the same position and it's amazing how the burden of stress becomes so much lighter when you know you only have to go a few more times.
Original post by Bluecat1r
It's weird reading this because this sums up completely how I feel. I was supposed to be leaving my job at the end of the month to be focusing on exams but my managers are making me stay till the end of march and my hours for next month are appalling, some of them are during my school hours but since I thought I was going to be gone I couldn't get first choice of hours. I feel so hopeless right now every time I go to work I have to fight the urge not to walk into traffic and I don't know how I'm going to make it through the next few weeks. My plan is to organise every minute of my life so I can fit in working and my exam revision. Fighting the psychological affects is going to be difficult but I'm just trying to maintain the philosophy that there is light at the end of this tunnel.

Literally, same. I also wanted to quit end of this month but that obviously didn't work out. Thinking that I still have to go through 6 weeks of this is horrifying. Seriously, I considered easy ways to break a leg or something just so that I wouldn't have to go in! It sucks that your hours are crappy, mine are all right but it's still pretty unbearable, so I feel you........
Original post by Anygy

Cross each day off on a calendar - very empowering! Why did you have to work such a long notice period?
Original post by Muttley79
Cross each day off on a calendar - very empowering! Why did you have to work such a long notice period?

Hehe might give that a go....

I honestly don't know tbh, my boss said that she needed time to find a replacement or something.
Original post by Anygy

I honestly don't know tbh, my boss said that she needed time to find a replacement or something.

It must give a notice period in your contract. For many part-time jobs it's a week and certainly no more than a month.
Reply 9
Original post by Anygy

Do the calendar thing it does really work.

Also your contract that you signed should make up your notice period unless you are still on probation. Typical rule of thumb is is you are paid weekly you have to give a week, monthly paid you have to give a month unless your contract states differently. Them not being able to get staff is not your problem and whilst, if you didn't want to burn bridges and wanting references I'd possibly stay that bit longer. If not, tell them your contract states differently. Did you ever give written resignation?
Get your head down and earn an awesome reference, for your professionalism when most would slack, which will make it all worthwhile.
Original post by Tw1x
Do the calendar thing it does really work.

Also your contract that you signed should make up your notice period unless you are still on probation. Typical rule of thumb is is you are paid weekly you have to give a week, monthly paid you have to give a month unless your contract states differently. Them not being able to get staff is not your problem and whilst, if you didn't want to burn bridges and wanting references I'd possibly stay that bit longer. If not, tell them your contract states differently. Did you ever give written resignation?

To be completely honest with you, I don't even know what I did and didn't sign. But either way, the date has already been decided and I'd feel way too guilty quitting earlier, as desperately as I want to.........
Reply 12
Original post by Anygy
To be completely honest with you, I don't even know what I did and didn't sign. But either way, the date has already been decided and I'd feel way too guilty quitting earlier, as desperately as I want to.........

Thats fine if you are going to stay. Enjoy your day off to the maximum, use the calendar so you know there's a light at the end of the tunnel!
Any quick advice someone can give to me?

I currently have like 2 weeks left, which is FANTASTIC. My boss has found two replacements and is training them onsite. Problem is, since these new employees have appeared, she’s been treating me like absolute garbage. As I stated before, I’ve always had issues with my boss, but it’s never been this bad.

She has begun to nitpick absolutely everything I do, and puts the blame on me when it was actually someone else who made the mistake. I’m so sick of it and am on edge every second. I literally see her watching me over my shoulder.

She’s also begun to blatantantly ignore me. Like if I ask a question, she’ll just look at some space behind me and walk off, which is painfully humiliating and makes me feel horribly awkward.

How do I push through this? I can’t stand the thought of working with someone who clearly dislikes me.

Quick Reply

Latest