Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to start a part-time course in an Allied Heath Professionals subject this September as a second degree. I am a mature student, married with children. Am I likely to get a tuition fee/maintenance loan? Is there any additional help for students with children on part-time courses?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by KLucy)
    I am planning to start a part-time course in an Allied Heath Professionals subject this September as a second degree. I am a mature student, married with children. Am I likely to get a tuition fee/maintenance loan? Is there any additional help for students with children on part-time courses?
    Hi KLucy,

From the academic year 2018/19 new part time students will be able to apply for a Maintenance Loan.

Students are eligible to apply for second part time degree in one of the STEM subjects, these are commonly known as Part Time Exception Courses .

Your course will have a JACS code to identify it as one of these STEM subjects.

The JACS code is the unique identifier that SLC, UCAS and the HEP's use to distinguish courses.

A students entitlement for the Maintenance Loan will be determined by 3 things:

• Where they are living/studying
    • Household income
    • Intensity of study

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help.
    The course I have been offered a place with is BSc Speech and Language Therapy (one of the Allied Health Professions courses). It is my second degree and part-time.
    I assume it is not one of the STEM subjects (as you mentioned in your post) but would this be expected to count as one of the part-time exception courses? And therefore would I be able to access the student loans service for a tuition and maintenance loan?

Thanks again,

Lucy
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by KLucy)
    Thank you for your help.
    The course I have been offered a place with is BSc Speech and Language Therapy (one of the Allied Health Professions courses). It is my second degree and part-time.
    I assume it is not one of the STEM subjects (as you mentioned in your post) but would this be expected to count as one of the part-time exception courses? And therefore would I be able to access the student loans service for a tuition and maintenance loan?

Thanks again,

Lucy
    Hi Lucy,

This means that students could be eligible to receive support for a second qualification if studying for a part time Honours Degree, Joint Honours Degree or Integrated Masters Degree in

• Subjects Allied to Medicine (B)

The JACS code is the unique identifier that UCAS and the universities's use to distinguish courses.

The JACS code allowing you to identify which courses qualify.

Students must be studying one of the following part time courses in order to be eligible to apply for a Part Time Maintenance Loan:

• Bachelor Degree (with or without Honours)
    • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
    • Integrated Masters Degree
    • Graduate Diploma
    • Graduate Certificate
    • Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
    • Healthcare Courses (Level 4, 5 ,6 and Integrated Masters Degrees)

Any other qualifications with the exception of those listed above will not be eligible for the PTML during academic year 2018/19.

Regards Rona

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.