Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been offered a place at King's for CS and would like to know what it is like!
    Also received offers from Bristol and Birmingham and are in a bit of a dilemma about where to go.
    Bristol and Birmingham both rank higher in terms of the subject however I find living in London very appealing especially considering post-graduate opportunities, I feel as if regardless of what University I go to, I will end up working in London anyway so do you think its worth studying there too?

Can I please find out:
    How is life living in London?
    How tough is the course?
    Does it contain a lot of maths?
    How good are the lectures?
    Is King's reputable enough for Computer Science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkillian8)
    I have been offered a place at King's for CS and would like to know what it is like!
    Also received offers from Bristol and Birmingham and are in a bit of a dilemma about where to go.
    Bristol and Birmingham both rank higher in terms of the subject however I find living in London very appealing especially considering post-graduate opportunities, I feel as if regardless of what University I go to, I will end up working in London anyway so do you think its worth studying there too?

Can I please find out:
    How is life living in London?
    How tough is the course?
    Does it contain a lot of maths?
    How good are the lectures?
    Is King's reputable enough for Computer Science?
    From friends I've heard life in London is very busy so if you like the city, London will be great for you although it is expensive. Kings is definitely a top uni even for computer science. The course is tough but keeping on top you should be fine. But I guess it's different for everyone. The maths yes it does. Not sure on the lectures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucky10)
    From friends I've heard life in London is very busy so if you like the city, London will be great for you although it is expensive. Kings is definitely a top uni even for computer science. The course is tough but keeping on top you should be fine. But I guess it's different for everyone. The maths yes it does. Not sure on the lectures
    Thank you for the reply, can't really imagine myself living outside of a city which puts me off Bristol and Birmingham is too close to home. I think Kings is where I need to be but I'm still not 100% sure (Just got rejected from UCL so trying to weigh up all my options)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply, can't really imagine myself living outside of a city which puts me off Bristol and Birmingham is too close to home. I think Kings is where I need to be but I'm still not 100% sure (Just got rejected from UCL so trying to weigh up all my options)
    Best of luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my first year in BSc Computer Science at King's

Life in London: I did not move out to central London (I got a 1 hour commute), but from what I hear there are two main things - its ****ing expensive and its ****ing fantastic. Night life is just phenomenal always something to do (at a cost £££). It is also a extremely busy area.

Course: Personally I find it to be a mix. Programming, databases and logic seem to be easy for me, but the maths modules can get you (I recommend revising Edexcel maths C1 C2 C3 and D1). Overall you'll find some areas tough and some a breeze, its a good mix.

Maths: I'd say probably 25%-40% is pure maths, in first year there is one primary maths module FC1, but others also require good maths like CS1. I also imagine future modules like AI and cryptography need a good amount too.

Lectures: Like every uni some are good and some are terrible; for me it is 70% good, 20% bad and 10% holy **** how are they qualified to teach. I know King's is continuing to make their CS program more reputable, part of that includes hiring more notable academics.

Reputation: While their CS program isn't that high on current league tables they are jumping up (CUG). Like I said before they are undergoing a program to boost the Informatics department. I applied to King's primarily for their strong general reputation worldwide.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    2nd year at King's here,

I'd imagine the course would be better at Bristol and Birmingham, lots of small irritating things about this course that makes me loath it at times.

If you can afford to live in London, its a lot of fun. Lots to do day and night. Sometimes you can feel isolated as students come from all over the city and even outside of London, so its important to make friends in first year.

The course isn't that difficult, with an adequate amount of work you can easily get a first, a handful of lecturers are decent but there are a few go awful ones.

Its not greatly reputable for CS, but reputable enough anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobjim12)
    2nd year at King's here,

I'd imagine the course would be better at Bristol and Birmingham, lots of small irritating things about this course that makes me loath it at times.

If you can afford to live in London, its a lot of fun. Lots to do day and night. Sometimes you can feel isolated as students come from all over the city and even outside of London, so its important to make friends in first year.

The course isn't that difficult, with an adequate amount of work you can easily get a first, a handful of lecturers are decent but there are a few go awful ones.

Its not greatly reputable for CS, but reputable enough anyway.
    Thanks for the insight, do you think you have good prospects after graduation? That's the only thing currently holding me back from putting it as my firm.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the insight, do you think you have good prospects after graduation? That's the only thing currently holding me back from putting it as my firm.
    Yes, CS grads have generally good prospects, I have experienced this myself and alumni that I know or have heard from. search LinkedIn for KCL alumni to see what they have achieved since graduating. While it is not highly regarded for CS as other good unis, King's itself is still regarded highly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 19, 2018
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.