Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

University accommodation and paying for it watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys so I’m heading to university this year and I was wondering if anybody struggled with affording the uni halls ? My loan doesn’t cover it all so is there a way around it or did you have to work off the rest and finally is it worth it ?

Thankyou!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If your loan doesn't cover your entire uni accommodation then either search for something cheaper or you were denied higher sums because of parental income, in which case, ask your parents for money.

There's always part-time and holiday work.

ReputationRep:
    Can you ask for parental support? Your loan is assessed on parental income in most cases and parents are expected to make a contribution depending on how much they earn. It’s roughly around £3.5k a year student contribution for those earning £ 25kpa for example, although student finance fails to inform parents of that.

Can you get a part time job that fits around Uni hours? Many students work around their course, one of my sons works 8 hours a week for example.

Can I just ask did you not think to work out the finances before applying to a Uni taking into account the cost of halls and living at that particular Uni? When my sons were applying we had to trawl through the accomodation packages and rule out Uni’s where the halls cost and private rent costs were too high. It often astonishes me that people apply to a Uni then discover their income won’t cover the accomodation costs let alone living as well.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bernadette04)
    Can you ask for parental support? Your loan is assessed on parental income in most cases and parents are expected to make a contribution depending on how much they earn. It’s roughly around £3.5k a year student contribution for those earning £ 25kpa for example, although student finance fails to inform parents of that.

Can you get a part time job that fits around Uni hours? Many students work around their course, one of my sons works 8 hours a week for example.

Can I just ask did you not think to work out the finances before applying to a Uni taking into account the cost of halls and living at that particular Uni? When my sons were applying we had to trawl through the accomodation packages and rule out Uni’s where the halls cost and private rent costs were too high. It often astonishes me that people apply to a Uni then discover their income won’t cover the accomodation costs let alone living as well.
    I was aware that I’d have to pay for the halls but the prices are extortionate especially for students who don’t have a job! I have a job and I do plan to save but I just wanted to see how people went about things if they struggled with it, the uni isn’t far from me which isn’t bad however none of my family have ever been to uni so they said I might as well go for it and get the full experience for the first year, so there’s some decision making to do on my part

Getting different opinions and advice on situations about uni is helping me come to a decision so thankyou for coming back to me ! I
    really appreciate it x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Get a job.
    I have one. I wanted to hear advice and about different experiences but cheers for stating the obvious.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ghunte)
    I have one. I wanted to hear advice and about different experiences but cheers for stating the obvious.
    No problem.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.