Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be starting uni in September, I was wondering if any mature students use student bank accounts and if there is any that people recommend?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Charlotte..T..)
    I'm going to be starting uni in September, I was wondering if any mature students use student bank accounts and if there is any that people recommend?
    will you specifically be needing an overdraft?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I will probably use the overdraft, I was wondering of any had more benefits like giving you freebies or gifts for joining, the one with the rail card would be no use to me as I'm over 25 lol

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference between a student bank account and a normal? Also you can get a 16-25 railcard if you're over 25 but you have to prove that you're a mature student

ReputationRep:
    A student bank account is usually an interest free overdraft until you leave uni or up to a year after you graduate, something like that, oh really, I never knew that about the rail card thank you!

ReputationRep:
    A student bank account is usually an interest free overdraft until you leave uni or up to a year after you graduate, something like that, oh really, I never knew that about the rail card thank you!
    Ahhh I didn't know that they existed! Thank you! What will you be doing at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Most banks do them and you can increase your overdraft of necessary 🙂 I will be studying History at northampton, how about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisie)
    Also you can get a 16-25 railcard if you're over 25 but you have to prove that you're a mature student
    Great tip, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I’ll be opening one with Santander for the railcard and because they have a branch inside my uni. Keeps things simple!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    HSBC are doing 2k overdraft limit and £60 voucher from Amazon, that could get you a few text books

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same, mature student and debating whether to open a student account for September. I'm not sure if it has to be your primary account and don't really want to have to swap all my bills over. Does anybody know if you can open a student account as a secondary account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlemhen)
    I'm the same, mature student and debating whether to open a student account for September. I'm not sure if it has to be your primary account and don't really want to have to swap all my bills over. Does anybody know if you can open a student account as a secondary account?
    It doesn't have to be your primary bank account, I think to get the overdraft etc you have to have a certain amount of money going in there so if you get any student loans and bursaries paid into there that would be enough

ReputationRep:
    I’ve tried twice to apply online for HSBC student account.. gets all the way to the end and then blank page but I still receive an email saying thanks for your application.. then get nothing back at all and when I call they can’t find my details and suggest I try again lol! Anyone been successful with online application with them??

ReputationRep:
    For me it's Santander because of the free railcard (I'll be travelling from York to Liverpool most weekends) and because you get 3% interest on balances between £300 and £2000. The overdraft isnt important as I'd be reluctant to use it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.