Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bad mock grades isn't the problem but how to improve is watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know lot of people receive bad mock grades and ace their GCSE and I was wondering how I could do the same for SOME of my subjects. I have tested out few revision methods and so far I've tried:
    > making notes ( it was pointless for me and didn't help, all I ended up with was a sore hand)
    > mind maps ( I found them to brief and when I try to add detail but it seems as if I've ignored the concept of a mind map by having each branch a paragraph long)
    > flash cards( these are great for learning basics or short key facts but not that useful when I needed to write essays for an exam)
    > practise questions (tbh this method saved me and became my best friend for the past few years but my grades for some suggest something else it seems)
    So can anyone help me find a solution that will help?
    My grades were:
    maths- 8+
    biology- 7+
    chemistry- 7+
    physics- 7+
    Religious Studies- 7-
    English language- 9-
    English literature- 5
    Spanish- 5+
    computing- 5+
    History- ...(so far only one paper has been marked and I got a L3 so hopefully the others aren't as bad)
    I just want some help improving the subjects I got below L6 .

ReputationRep:
    They look good grades except for the last few. Fundamentally learning is about finding your own individual style that works for you. However, you do need to know what type of learner you are (visual, audio etc), so do that first and and go from there.

ReputationRep:
    These grades are so good.

ReputationRep:
    During my GCSE mocks, I got all C's and D's, I dont know what the equivalent is now, but that was terrible.

1) I did as many past papers that the spec had created and went through them (X2 repeat these past papers all the time, or look back at your model answers to ensure the answers are stuck in your head)
    2) revised textbooks word for word on most things till they were sound in my head
    3) use youtube videos - there are thousands of useful videos and sometimes someone explaining it to you, is a lot easier!
    4) Get a tutor in maths and English, they help a lot.
    5) Try to do 3-4 hours of revision a day, you have summer to recoup lost time with friends

Hope it helps,

In the end I ended up with 4A* 4A and 3Bs

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.