Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a student at the University of Edinburgh currently studying Computer Science in second year. Studies at the moment are not going well and I think I'm going to get kicked out by the end of this semester because I have failed all my semester 1 courses.

I applied via UCAS to Heriot-Watt University to study Computer Science (first year entry). I have recently received a conditional offer requiring me to pass second year at Edinburgh University with a 60% average. I have obviously failed to meet this condition and if I did meet it, I wouldn't be applying to Heriot-Watt in the first place.

I think this offer is slightly unfair because the course entry requirements on their website state I need BBBBC for Scottish Highers. I obtained AAAAA for my Highers, and I've also completed first year at Edinburgh Uni with a grade average of 73%. I feel like I've been penalised for studying at a previous university. Because where a typical applicant must meet BBBBC in Highers, I have to achieve (in theory) BBBBBBB grades in university level qualifications, which I think most people will agree is considerably harder. And achieving these same conditions will allow me to progress to Third Year at Edinburgh Uni. Why would I enter first year again at another uni if I can go into third year at my current uni?

I think most people will agree with me that this offer is ridiculous. Is there anyway of appealing an offer?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Jonathan_Sung)
    Hi, I am a student at the University of Edinburgh currently studying Computer Science in second year. Studies at the moment are not going well and I think I'm going to get kicked out by the end of this semester because I have failed all my semester 1 courses.

I applied via UCAS to Heriot-Watt University to study Computer Science (first year entry). I have recently received a conditional offer requiring me to pass second year at Edinburgh University with a 60% average. I have obviously failed to meet this condition and if I did meet it, I wouldn't be applying to Heriot-Watt in the first place.

I think this offer is slightly unfair because the course entry requirements on their website state I need BBBBC for Scottish Highers. I obtained AAAAA for my Highers, and I've also completed first year at Edinburgh Uni with a grade average of 73%. I feel like I've been penalised for studying at a previous university. Because where a typical applicant must meet BBBBC in Highers, I have to achieve (in theory) BBBBBBB grades in university level qualifications, which I think most people will agree is considerably harder. And achieving these same conditions will allow me to progress to Third Year at Edinburgh Uni. Why would I enter first year again at another uni if I can go into third year at my current uni?

I think most people will agree with me that this offer is ridiculous. Is there anyway of appealing an offer?
    There isn't really any way of appealing an offer, although if they have given you an offer that is impossible to achieve, you could point this out to them and see if they change their offer.

I can see why you think these requirements are unfair, however, if you've already failed one degree then Heriott-Watt may be worried you don't have the skills to pass on any degree course- so they don't want to take on a student who might potentially fail or drop out.

Do you have any options at Edinburgh in terms of retaking the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    There isn't really any way of appealing an offer, although if they have given you an offer that is impossible to achieve, you could point this out to them and see if they change their offer.

I can see why you think these requirements are unfair, however, if you've already failed one degree then Heriott-Watt may be worried you don't have the skills to pass on any degree course- so they don't want to take on a student who might potentially fail or drop out.

Do you have any options at Edinburgh in terms of retaking the year?
    This is pretty much last resort. I have thought about how I can continue on at Edinburgh but honestly the course is solid, just the sight of one of their assignment sheets gives me a headache. I can't imagining sustaining that kind of stress for another 3 years. And if you're wondering what makes me think I'll succeed at Heriot-Watt - I've had a look at their past papers and courseworks and (to put it bluntly) they are far easier. Honestly not sure what to do now.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    This is pretty much last resort. I have thought about how I can continue on at Edinburgh but honestly the course is solid, just the sight of one of their assignment sheets gives me a headache. I can't imagining sustaining that kind of stress for another 3 years. And if you're wondering what makes me think I'll succeed at Heriot-Watt - I've had a look at their past papers and courseworks and (to put it bluntly) they are far easier. Honestly not sure what to do now.
    Unfortunately, there's probably not much you can do this year. Maybe once you've dropped out, you could apply to Herriot-Watt again? In that case, they might be willing to take you based on your previous higher results? Did you put in a late application this year?

Are there any other course you could transfer to at Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    Unfortunately, there's probably not much you can do this year. Maybe once you've dropped out, you could apply to Herriot-Watt again? In that case, they might be willing to take you based on your previous higher results? Did you put in a late application this year?

Are there any other course you could transfer to at Edinburgh?
    Yup, thought about applying next year, but that's in 8 months time. I sent my application away this time in November so that's well within the January deadline. I thought about doing other courses but I find Computer Science the most interesting (just not when they speed you through it at a lightning pace and only cover dense mathematical material). Okay, thanks for your help man.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a UoE student doing the same major aswell and I can relate. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    I'm a UoE student doing the same major aswell and I can relate. :/
    Cool man. What year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    Cool man. What year are you in?
    2nd year at the moment. I really struggled with the 1st semester stuff. Personally, I don't think you'll get kicked out. They removed the hurdles this year. You will probably need to retake the semester 1 exams though.

ReputationRep:
    This is pretty much last resort. I have thought about how I can continue on at Edinburgh but honestly the course is solid, just the sight of one of their assignment sheets gives me a headache.
    Lemme guess is it the algorithms assignment?

ReputationRep:
    2nd year at the moment. I really struggled with the 1st semester stuff. Personally, I don't think you'll get kicked out. They removed the hurdles this year. You will probably need to retake the semester 1 exams though.
    Yeah, I've kinda just given up at Edinburgh to be honest. If it's not this year, it'll be next year I end up dropping out. I've looked at the third year courses and they look like various extensions of the Algorithms and Machine Learning course, which is probably the hardest course this year. The best case scenario for me at Edinburgh is a borderline Third Class Degree with much blood, sweat and tears - for something which is essentially worth as much as toilet paper to employers.

ReputationRep:
    Lemme guess is it the algorithms assignment?
    Yeah, not just that though, basically every tutorial sheet and coursework handed to me this year has been a massive chore. It honestly takes me like 6 hours to complete one of their tutorials - just to do the background reading and stuff. I'm not sure exactly how long they expect you to spend on it but I know for a fact 6 hours is too long.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, not just that though, basically every tutorial sheet and coursework handed to me this year has been a massive chore. It honestly takes me like 6 hours to complete one of their tutorials - just to do the background reading and stuff. I'm not sure exactly how long they expect you to spend on it but I know for a fact 6 hours is too long.
    I mean, with all due respect, a tutorial sheet is based around 3 lectures. For me it takes around 3-4 hours to fully digest, do the reading, and make notes around the content discussed during the lecture. Once you've done making the notes and the required reading, the tutorial shouldn't take that long.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.