Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I recently feel like I'm having a bit of a 1/4 life crisis but I'm fairly sure I would like to study Midwifery a second degree. It's something that had interested me since I was little and I cant stop thinking about it. I'm currently near the end of my second year in an unrelated degree (English) and would like to complete this although I really don't enjoy it anymore. I feel like I just chose it because I was good at it but really I'd like to have a career in a fast paced, practical and rewarding setting like Midwifery.

My 2 questions are:

1.) What is the likelihood of me getting in with only English, Media and Religious A levels (and the degree I graduate with) as none are related to science?
    2.) I have looked at the courses that I'd want to do and most of the grading is based on practical tasks rather than coursework (which I feel I am naturally better at) although I don't have an academic science background (I have GCSE's) so do you think this will affect me greatly in learning? Basically, how gifted/knowledgable to do need to be in the Biology department?

I am very determined and disciplined so I would be willing to put the effort in!

Thankyou

P.s I do also intend to get some experience in a hospital before I apply.

ReputationRep:
    science subjects are preferred but not necessary what were your grades?

ReputationRep:
    Midwifery is oversubscribed at the moment and has been for a few years. A science A Level, especially Biology, will help a great deal. Also, if you don’t intend to go into midwifery in the end an A Level in Biology is highly regarded across many universities courses. In fact, Oxford university have been prioritising students with either Maths or Biology A Levels even if their chosen degree subject isn’t science related.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebowe)
    Midwifery is oversubscribed at the moment and has been for a few years. A science A Level, especially Biology, will help a great deal. Also, if you don’t intend to go into midwifery in the end an A Level in Biology is highly regarded across many universities courses. In fact, Oxford university have been prioritising students with either Maths or Biology A Levels even if their chosen degree subject isn’t science related.

hmm well I definitely wouldn't be trying to get into Oxford or any University as highly regarded as that.
    For the courses I want to do I have looked at the entry requirements and they do not say I would need any science A level? only GCSE's which I have science and applied science... but they do say that working in a care setting or gaining experience would help with the application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annak332)
    hmm well I definitely wouldn't be trying to get into Oxford or any University as highly regarded as that.
    For the courses I want to do I have looked at the entry requirements and they do not say I would need any science A level? only GCSE's which I have science and applied science... but they do say that working in a care setting or gaining experience would help with the application
    I also already have a degree so I can only do Nursing or Midwifery as the NHS are going to pay for it haha but id rather do Midwifery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amal99)
    I got B,C and a distinction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amal99)
    If it is necessary for me to get in I would complete some kind of access course but if not id rather just get in and put the hard work in there, so thats what I'm trying to seek out the answer to now.

ReputationRep:
    Don’t always go off the requirements. Every university in the country, good or bad, will be oversubscribed for each course. They will only pick the best students in that batch so having a science A Level will put you ahead of others. Your looking to put yourself out there. You never know an A Level in Biology or any other Science will help you in midwifery or any other medical role because you took the A Level.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.