Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    The BBC really need to be defunded, I dont want to be paying tax for a lot of the useless things they do such as translations in non official languages like pidgeon english, nor do I want the rampant leftwing views being payed for by me, just take a look at the bbc3 bit and it is a load of trash
    Why exactly?
    Anyway you are under no obligation to pay the license fee, simply stop watching tv and problem, solved.
    whats your beef with its international service? It has been argued that the BBC alone with entities such as rle, voice of america etc. etc. helped win the cold war with their broadcasting.
    Erm how exactly are they all rampantly left wing? I'm struggling to guess how telling us an earth quake has struck Chile or somewhere is 'left wing' you read a bias because you want to see one the fact of the matter is the BBC is widely considered, the world over, to be the RollsRoyce of broadcasting - it is an international symbol of quality and good reporting. Unlike Fox which is seen as a sack of crap not worth the airtime.

ReputationRep:
    You're comparing two different statistics. You're highlighting total emigration but the BBC article is about the emigration of EU nationals, which increased by 28,000 (from 102,000 to 130,000).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    The BBC really need to be defunded, I dont want to be paying tax for a lot of the useless things they do such as translations in non official languages like pidgeon english, nor do I want the rampant leftwing views being payed for by me, just take a look at the bbc3 bit and it is a load of trash
    It's 'pidgin', and it's not useless for the countless millions of Africans who use it as a lingua franca in a region with hundreds of distinct native languages.

ReputationRep:
    No, the headline is accurate, the number of emigrates has gone up
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by generallee)
    And we all know that nine out of ten BBC employees voted Remain. If not more. There is no hard data for that, but you know that, I know that, (although you may pretend otherwise I guess). And those few that did vote Leave probably make the coffee.

John Humphries even said as much in the interview I quoted. That Broadcasting House was in shock the morning after the Referendum. If the BBC reflected the nation more than half its employees would have been pleased, not in shock.
    Broadcasting house is in the middle of central London. London as a whole voted overwhelmingly for Remain, so that's not really a surprise that staff who mostly live near there were shocked. I imagine the reaction was quite similar in a lot of London offices that day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Broadcasting house is in the middle of central London. London as a whole voted overwhelmingly for Remain, so that's not really a surprise that staff who mostly live near there were shocked. I imagine the reaction was quite similar in a lot of London offices that day.
    No, the vote was 60/40.

"The final result is something approximating to 60% favouring remain, 40% for leave and of course it raises interesting questions about the capital's relationship with the rest of the country."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36612916

So yes it is surprising that they were so shocked at the bursting of their elitist little metropolitan bubble.

ReputationRep:
    No, the vote was 60/40.

"The final result is something approximating to 60% favouring remain, 40% for leave and of course it raises interesting questions about the capital's relationship with the rest of the country."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36612916

So yes it is surprising that they were so shocked at the bursting of their elitist little metropolitan bubble.
    Except of course, London carries the rest of the country economically. Plenty seem determined to bite the hand that feeds them mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    Except of course, London carries the rest of the country economically. Plenty seem determined to bite the hand that feeds them mind.

We should be grateful the rest of the country is de-industrialised while one area gets all the investment and attention?

It was also London bankers who crashed the economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob072)
    We should be grateful the rest of the country is de-industrialised while one area gets all the investment and attention?

It was also London bankers who crashed the economy.
    Well blame Thatcher and her policy of de-industrialisation for that...
    It confuses me that some people on the right seem to be coming out the anti capitalist side now.

ReputationRep:
    Well blame Thatcher and her policy of de-industrialisation for that...
    It confuses me that some people on the right seem to be coming out the anti capitalist side now.

You must be even dumber than I thought if you think you can categorize people as being right like that.

ReputationRep:
    You must be even dumber than I thought if you think you can categorize people as being right like that.
    So you're a right wing capitalist but don't like Thatcher then? De-industrialisation was a huge part of Thatcherism.
    How can you possibly oppose it while supporting her?

Yes it was bankers who crashed the economy, not Labour.

ReputationRep:
    So you're a right wing capitalist but don't like Thatcher then? De-industrialisation was a huge part of Thatcherism.
    How can you possibly oppose it while supporting her?

Yes it was bankers who crashed the economy, not Labour.

I'm not 'right wing', I'm not a 'Thatcherite'. I make decisions about what's best based on the individual case, not conforming to what I should do because of some label. It must be hard for you to understand as you just accept everything the liberal mainstream says without thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 'right wing', I'm not a 'Thatcherite'. I make decisions about what's best based on the individual case, not conforming to what I should do because of some label. It must be hard for you to understand as you just accept everything the liberal mainstream says without thinking.
    LOL, 'liberal mainstream'. Haha. Of course, the likes of Murdoch, Daily Mail etc are just oozing with liberalness.

So you must not like the Conservatives at all given you don't like de-industrialisation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    A significant part is now in Salford specifically to take the steam out of that very argument.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, 'liberal mainstream'. Haha. Of course, the likes of Murdoch, Daily Mail etc are just oozing with liberalness.

So you must not like the Conservatives at all given you don't like de-industrialisation?

I hate the Conservatives, I voted for them last year because of Brexit, and have increasingly regretted it since.

ReputationRep:
    The BBC doesn't carry the rest of the country economically. On the contrary, the antediluvian method of BBC financing, (in effect a regressive tax punishing the poor and old), leads to the "rest of the country" supporting these metropolitan tossers, paying for them to live their lives of London privilege, whilst lecturing them on how stupid and racist they are.

To be fair, three quarters of a century into its existence, the BBC did relocate many staff to the north (thereby admitting the appalling over concentration of the media in London) but it has proved hard. The patronising pillock$ who work for this bastion of Remoanerdom kicked up a terrible fuss. Probably worried they wouldn't find any quinoa in the sooty snotty north, or something...

ReputationRep:
    The BBC doesn't carry the rest of the country economically. On the contrary, the antediluvian method of BBC financing, (in effect a regressive tax punishing the poor and old), leads to the "rest of the country" supporting these metropolitan tossers, paying for them to live their lives of London privilege, whilst lecturing them on how stupid and racist they are.

To be fair, three quarters of a century into its existence, the BBC did relocate many staff to the north (thereby admitting the appalling over concentration of the media in London) but it has proved hard. The patronising pillock$ who work for this bastion of Remoanerdom kicked up a terrible fuss. Probably worried they wouldn't find any quinoa in the sooty snotty north, or something...
    The old and poor get free license fees.

ReputationRep:
    The old and poor get free license fees.
    OK I exaggerated, The over 75's get it free (I think?) which still leaves those on pensions younger than 75 having to pay, if that is right. I would term them old. And those on benefits presumably get it free.

But most Brexit voters, (and certainly the working poor) have to pay (or else go to jail) to listen to these tosser [email protected] telling them how stupid their exercising of their democratic rights shows them to be. And therefore how that vote didn't count because a majority in London doesn't agree with it.

ReputationRep:
    OK I exaggerated, The over 75's get it free (I think?) which still leaves those on pensions younger than 75 having to pay, if that is right. I would term them old. And those on benefits presumably get it free.

But most Brexit voters, (and certainly the working poor) have to pay (or else go to jail) to listen to these tosser [email protected] telling them how stupid their exercising of their democratic rights shows them to be. And therefore how that vote didn't count because a majority in London doesn't agree with it.
    It's £140 odd a year per household. People make out like its fortunes.

Plus something like 97% of the country use a BBC service at least once a week.

The Beeb is certainly not pro Labour by any stretch of the imagination.

ReputationRep:
    It's £140 odd a year per household. People make out like its fortunes.

Plus something like 97% of the country use a BBC service at least once a week.

The Beeb is certainly not pro Labour by any stretch of the imagination.
    There are plenty of BBC journalists and editors who VOTE Labour, that's for sure, the output demonstrates that. The idea that they are some apolitical fount of knowledge and wisdom, unsullied by prejudice (criticised by both sides ya de ya) is absurd, (for example its palpable Remainer bias, the subject of this thread) but still maintained by many.

But increasingly people are seeing though all mainstream media bias in the age of the internet. We know you can't trust any of them, the saintly BBC included. They all have an angle to shoot.

Humpty Dumpty has fallen off the wall and can never be put back together again.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.