Turn on thread page Beta

Biased Broadcasting Corporation? (BBC) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    There are plenty of BBC journalists and editors who VOTE Labour, that's for sure, the output demonstrates that. The idea that they are some apolitical fount of knowledge and wisdom, unsullied by prejudice (criticised by both sides ya de ya) is absurd, (for example its palpable Remainer bias, the subject of this thread) but still maintained by many.

But increasingly people are seeing though all mainstream media bias in the age of the internet. We know you can't trust any of them, the saintly BBC included. They all have an angle to shoot.

Humpty Dumpty has fallen off the wall and can never be put back together again.
    There are also plenty of BBC journalists and editors who VOTE Tory. I'm not really sure what your issue is. You would expect the BBC to have both Labour and Tory voters working for them, and they do. Funny how both the left and the right think the BBC is oh so biased against them. Probably a sign that it's doing a rather good job.

On almost any debate, every side thinks the BBC is biased against them. It's so tiresome. Are you honestly claiming that the BBC is pro-Labour? Really....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    Probably a sign that it's doing a rather good job.
    ugh

ReputationRep:
    There are also plenty of BBC journalists and editors who VOTE Tory. I'm not really sure what your issue is. You would expect the BBC to have both Labour and Tory voters working for them, and they do. Funny how both the left and the right think the BBC is oh so biased against them. Probably a sign that it's doing a rather good job.

On almost any debate, every side thinks the BBC is biased against them. It's so tiresome.
    What a surprise, you have come out with the the hackneyed old BBC mantra. Both left and right criticise us, therefore we are politically neutral.

They aren't politically "neutral" and they couldn't ever be. So why the pretence? Oh I know, so they can maintain their gun to the head funding and the billions of pounds they pi$$ away producing a couple of TV shows and the odd Radio programme anyone might want to watch in the age of the internet.

All the while churning out relentless, rancid, Remainer propaganda 24/7 on its News Channels. Being forced to pay a single penny for THAT is what is tiresome.

ReputationRep:
    Are you honestly claiming that the BBC is pro-Labour? Really....
    Are you honestly claiming the BBC is (or has ever been) pro Leave? Really...

ReputationRep:
    What a surprise, you have come out with the the hackneyed old BBC mantra. Both left and right criticise us, therefore we are politically neutral.

They aren't politically "neutral" and they couldn't ever be. So why the pretence? Oh I know, so they can maintain their gun to the head funding and the billions of pounds they pi$$ away producing a couple of TV shows and the odd Radio programme anyone might want to watch in the age of the internet.

All the while churning out relentless, rancid, Remainer propaganda 24/7 on its News Channels. Being forced to pay a single penny for THAT is what is tiresome.

I've never claimed the BBC was neutral. No one is neutral, nor can they be. The BBC doesn't claim to be neutral either.
    There is virtually no other media outlet which gets criticised from every side in every debate to the extent the BBC does.

It's certainly anti Corbyn and it certainly supported Tory economics from 2010 onwards. Why are you not angry about that?

Again, we need a state broadcaster. £140 per household with free passes for the elderly and assistance for those who are poor is nothing. You're making out like it costs a fortune.

ReputationRep:
    Are you honestly claiming the BBC is (or has ever been) pro Leave? Really...
    It's about as pro Leave as it is pro Labour.

ReputationRep:
    Again, we need a state broadcaster. .
    No we don't.

ReputationRep:
    No we don't.
    Yes we do.

ReputationRep:
    It's about as pro Leave as it is pro Labour.
    Ah ha!

It is virulently anti Corbyn, I'll give you that, but VERY pro the Blairite world view, with a dash of Cameron.

For a critique of the whole mainstream media from a left wing perspective, check this out, if you haven't already seen it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjENnyQupow

ReputationRep:
    No we don't.
    Yes we do. Not to mention that it makes a profit for the tax payer.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ha!

It is virulently anti Corbyn, I'll give you that, but VERY pro the Blairite world view, with a dash of Cameron.

For a critique of the whole mainstream media from a left wing perspective, check this out, if you haven't already seen it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjENnyQupow
    It is anti Corbyn. If the BBC was a politician it would be David Cameron. Which is why I don't get why people on the right have such a problem with it.

I don't think the BBC is neutral, no one is neutral and I don't think it pretends to be either.

ReputationRep:

I don't think the BBC is neutral, no one is neutral and I don't think it pretends to be either.
    It claims to be "impartial" on the subject of Referendums, let's put it like that...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidel...nd-referendums

ReputationRep:
    It claims to be "impartial" on the subject of Referendums, let's put it like that...

But all these people complaining didn't seem to mind when it was doing a rather nice job of pushing the Tory economic message.

ReputationRep:

Then it was probably tried its best to be impartial during the weeks leading up to the referendum.

ReputationRep:
    I've never claimed the BBC was neutral. No one is neutral, nor can they be. The BBC doesn't claim to be neutral either.
    There is virtually no other media outlet which gets criticised from every side in every debate to the extent the BBC does.

It's certainly anti Corbyn and it certainly supported Tory economics from 2010 onwards. Why are you not angry about that?

Again, we need a state broadcaster. £140 per household with free passes for the elderly and assistance for those who are poor is nothing. You're making out like it costs a fortune.

Tory economics and Labour economic policy were indistinguishable from 2010 to 2015.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob072)
    Tory economics and Labour economic policy were indistinguishable from 2010 to 2015.
    They were not. The BBC very much supported the 'Labour crashed the economy and are reckless, you can't trust them' message.

ReputationRep:
    Another example, the BBC headline of "The man who thinks Europe has been invaded" about Viktor Orban, for an article trying to portray him as some minority extremist figure, when his party are polling with a 30% lead from the nearest rival and set to win a landslide this week.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.