Turn on thread page Beta

I have a reasonably important presentation that counts towards my final mark in my research project.
    Normally the presentations are done in front of the staff member supervising your project, and whichever students were also assigned that supervisor. So would have been a presentation in front of 5 people in total. Not too bad.

But now my supervisor has decided the presentations will be one on one and only in front of him. I think he thinks he's making our lives easier but the idea of standing up and doing a presentation in front of just him fills me with dread. It feels incredibly awkward and silly to be giving a presentation to only him on an area he's already an expert in and had to teach me about previously. If it was in front of the other students I wouldn't feel weird having to explain it all.

Does anyone have an advice on one on one presentations? We can't just sit and discuss it, I have to prepare a powerpoint and stand up. Normally you can look around the room and avoid the marker's eye contact but if he's the only person I'm going to have to look at him for about 15 minutes.

I'm quite a socially awkward person so I already hate presentations and having to speak for long periods of time.

bump

pls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a reasonably important presentation that counts towards my final mark in my research project.
    Normally the presentations are done in front of the staff member supervising your project, and whichever students were also assigned that supervisor. So would have been a presentation in front of 5 people in total. Not too bad.

But now my supervisor has decided the presentations will be one on one and only in front of him. I think he thinks he's making our lives easier but the idea of standing up and doing a presentation in front of just him fills me with dread. It feels incredibly awkward and silly to be giving a presentation to only him on an area he's already an expert in and had to teach me about previously. If it was in front of the other students I wouldn't feel weird having to explain it all.

Does anyone have an advice on one on one presentations? We can't just sit and discuss it, I have to prepare a powerpoint and stand up. Normally you can look around the room and avoid the marker's eye contact but if he's the only person I'm going to have to look at him for about 15 minutes.

I'm quite a socially awkward person so I already hate presentations and having to speak for long periods of time.
    Just treat it like you would any other presentation. Just because it's in front of only one person won't change the content, requirements of the assessment etc., so really it's nothing for you to get worked up about.

By presenting on information he has taught you, it will show him how much you have learnt and applied. It's not weird to present to a lecturer/teacher who is already an expert, otherwise any work you submit to them (essays, reports etc.) which refers to info from their lectures would also be weird by that logic, right?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.