Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

KFC chicken shortage - Marketing Magic watch

ReputationRep:
    Ever since KFC has announced a national chicken shortage due to distribution issues and it has filled our newsfeeds guess what I have been craving? KFC... Realistically they have created a false market of people doing the typical human thing of craving what they can’t have... they have suddenly got extraordinarily high demand which they can’t meet. And now the shops are slowly reopening everyone is flooding to them! I wouldn’t be surprised If they actually gain higher profits over the next few days of people fulfilling their greed than they lost while they were shut!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Scarlettcake)
    Ever since KFC has announced a national chicken shortage due to distribution issues and it has filled our newsfeeds guess what I have been craving? KFC... Realistically they have created a false market of people doing the typical human thing of craving what they can’t have... they have suddenly got extraordinarily high demand which they can’t meet. And now the shops are slowly reopening everyone is flooding to them! I wouldn’t be surprised If they actually gain higher profits over the next few days of people fulfilling their greed than they lost while they were shut!
    I cant decide if the publicity has been good or bad overall. On the one hand some people sure do love chicken. I actually like KFC and not one of those thats sniffy about it.

They were meant to be losing £1 million a day. I dont think people will come back twice as hungry and a lot went to McDs.

The people who really lost are the staff on zero hours.

ReputationRep:
    it was all a cunning plan...

:chicken:
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    KFC boardroom meeting:

“I think we should stage a distribution crisis then shut half our restaurants for a few days. This will make people crave KFC which will make us all richer.”

“That’s an excellent idea. Mark, get DHL on the phone.”

“Wait, that was a jo...”

ReputationRep:
    I went KFC today, and they were out of lettuce lol

ReputationRep:
    haven't been kfc in years...

places like morleys are considerably cheaper and do decent chicken......

ReputationRep:
    I didnt feel like kfc a month ago( I only eat there when I go a different city), but ive wanted it every day since ive read about the shortage

ReputationRep:
    just go to chicken cottage fella, fried chicken is fried chicken

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goggleyed)
    just go to chicken cottage fella, fried chicken is fried chicken

exactly.

there's nothing particularly special about KFC chicken apart from it's expensive ...and you're paying for the brand

check out chicken Connoisseur on youtube too OP....

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much any place that does fried chicken is either the same or better quality than kfc. Shutting down for a couple of days risks chicken addicts actually finding that out for themselves. Other problems include people defecting to burger king and mcdonalds, or just losing more than they gain.

I predict a net negative result.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, presumably brought to you by the same marketing masterminds as New Coke.

ReputationRep:
    It also makes it look like KFC actually use 100% chicken and not some cheap alternative like horse for example...

ReputationRep:
    I’m personally not a massive fan of KFC and haven’t had it in a couple of years... and even I’m still craving it this morning...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Says a lot about modern British eating habits.
    It's no surprise that this country is the "fat man" of western Europe.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.