Turn on thread page Beta

is a diet crucial to lose weight? watch

ReputationRep:
    I wanna lose weight and am now attending the gym daily and ensuring im active i dont eat fast food i eat healthy like i eat my veg and stuff but i also like snacks like crisps and chocolate and tbh would eat a little at like 8 when i watch some tv or YouTube. Is this ok would i be able to lose weight still or is a diet a crucial aspect of weight lost even more so than exercise.
    I would like to stress i dont view myself as a unhealthy eater but i will eat some sort of unhealthy snack everyday. But i dont eat takeaways often and dinner has always got veg.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toniator23)
    I wanna lose weight and am now attending the gym daily and ensuring im active i dont eat fast food i eat healthy like i eat my veg and stuff but i also like snacks like crisps and chocolate and tbh would eat a little at like 8 when i watch some tv or YouTube. Is this ok would i be able to lose weight still or is a diet a crucial aspect of weight lost even more so than exercise.
    I would like to stress i dont view myself as a unhealthy eater but i will eat some sort of unhealthy snack everyday. But i dont eat takeaways often and dinner has always got veg.
    Weight loss is mostly dependent on diet. You need to consume fewer calories than you burn. Also, just because your dinner 'always has veg' doesn't meant it's healthy :lol:

You're allowed to have treats, but everything in moderation.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Nope, but being at a consistent calorie deficit is.

ReputationRep:
    But its quite impossible to consume fewer calories than you burn cos i burn maybe around 500 calories in the gym if im generously over rounding cos its like 100 - 150 on the machines like treadmill and rowing and then i cycle to the gym qnd the weights and general walking in the day must burn calories but i cant be burning more than 1000 a day and the recommended calorie a day is 2000 i think so i would hav to go on some serious diet how the hell do ppl lose weight

ReputationRep:
    But its quite impossible to consume fewer calories than you burn cos i burn maybe around 500 calories in the gym if im generously over rounding cos its like 100 - 150 on the machines like treadmill and rowing and then i cycle to the gym qnd the weights and general walking in the day must burn calories but i cant be burning more than 1000 a day and the recommended calorie a day is 2000 i think so i would hav to go on some serious diet how the hell do ppl lose weight
    I dont think you understand, you burn calories whether you are doing exercise or not as you need energy to live (this is your base metabolic rate (BMR), so if you were to lie in bed and not doing anything you would burn this amount) then you burn some calories just by going about your day doing whatever (this + your BMR = your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE)) then you add the amount of calories you burn when exercising (ie stuff you are doing to burn cals but dont do everyday) to your tdee and this gives what calories you have burned that day

Example

My BMR is about 2200 cals, I do about 200-400 cals extra on top depending on what I have done that day (I personally make a mental note of how active I have been as my general life can mean I am moving about a lot or not much depending on what I have to do that day) making my TDEE 2400-2600 cals burnt per day then add any exercise I do on top of that and this is the amount of calories I have used that day

note BMR and TDEE are different for each individual person as they depend on various factors including genetics, weight (and the amount of this which is muscle and which is fat), activity level (ie how active is your day to day life) etc

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. I would even go as far to say diet is more important than exercise. You need to be in a caloric deficit otherwise you won't lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    Oh i see how do you work out your BMR

ReputationRep:
    Oh i see how do you work out your BMR
    Use a calculator online, they arent totally accurate but do give a ball park number, remember its TDEE thats important though as this is the actual calories you burn in a day

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2018
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.