Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who is not the sharpest tool in the box and is a bare faced liar. My friend told me he works as a quality and launch engineer for a company. Before he worked as an engineer, he was a quality inspector for a number of years.
    I asked my friend what he does as a quality and launch engineer, he said he mainly checks whether the parts are secured well on cars and report any faulties.
    I told him an engineer does more than that and I think he is telling porkie pies. My friend told me engineers don't just do developing, designing and building and can only do inspection in some companies, which is nonsense.
    My friend is very terrible at maths and left school with bad GCSEs and has no A levels or Degrees. He holds a city and guilds qualifcation in some subject.
    Is my friend telling lies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princess pokey)
    I have a friend who is not the sharpest tool in the box and is a bare faced liar. My friend told me he works as a quality and launch engineer for a company. Before he worked as an engineer, he was a quality inspector for a number of years.
    I asked my friend what he does as a quality and launch engineer, he said he mainly checks whether the parts are secured well on cars and report any faulties.
    I told him an engineer does more than that and I think he is telling porkie pies. My friend told me engineers don't just do developing, designing and building and can only do inspection in some companies, which is nonsense.
    My friend is very terrible at maths and left school with bad GCSEs and has no A levels or Degrees. He holds a city and guilds qualifcation in some subject.
    Take him for a lie detector on Jeremy Kyle

ReputationRep:
    He is an engineer only in the sense of being a technician. It is a very loose use of the word. You are right.

ReputationRep:
    if he identifies as an engineer then he is an engineer

smh

ReputationRep:

trapking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)

smh

you have 50,000 posts ...don't post again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)

smh
    Ha! :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    In the UK 'engineer' isn't a protected title like doctor or lawyer. Anyone can legally call themselves an engineer.

When I was about 8 I was really excited to hear that my parents had got a satellite engineer to come round one afternoon. I had all sorts of questions about which missions and satellites he had worked on, what payloads he had designed etc. I was bitterly disappointed to see a bloke from Sky carrying a ladder around the side of the house.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Unfortunately, in the U.K., there is no law to prevent anyone from calling themselves an engineer - the Jack of all trades problem - whether they fix toilets (sanitation engineer), service cars (auto engineer) or someone worrying a piece of wood with nothing more than a blunt penknife (design engineer).

Which is why many engineers worthy of the title become chartered; to differentiate themselves with a superior level of qualification, evidenced experience in a responsible job role that cannot be performed by a technician, peer reviewed and enrolled into a Royal Institution which sets the standards for their discipline.

There is a very big difference between an engineer responsible for designing a nuclear reactor with the guy who fits exhausts on a car.

The description of 'engineer', in the general publics view, covers everything in between.

ReputationRep:
    He isn't lying when he says he's an engineer, per se. The term engineer is not protected in the UK, so anyone can call themselves an engineer, even those who don't do any engineering whatsoever! Such is life.

(Original post by Duncan2012)
    In the UK 'engineer' isn't a protected title like doctor or lawyer. Anyone can legally call themselves an engineer.

When I was about 8 I was really excited to hear that my parents had got a satellite engineer to come round one afternoon. I had all sorts of questions about which missions and satellites he had worked on, what payloads he had designed etc. I was bitterly disappointed to see a bloke from Sky carrying a ladder around the side of the house.
    LOOOL the heartbreak.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.