The Student Room Group

Benefits

Hey, i'm 17 and want to start working, however my mums claims benefits and universal credit. She's afraid that if I work they're going to cut the benefits for the younger children and raise the amount we have to pay. Is this true? Pls answer asap
Original post by Marwa//\\
Hey, i'm 17 and want to start working, however my mums claims benefits and universal credit. She's afraid that if I work they're going to cut the benefits for the younger children and raise the amount we have to pay. Is this true? Pls answer asap

It's worth checking with Citizens Advice to be sure. You'll need details of what benefits your mum gets so that they can give you an answer :smile:
Original post by Marwa//\\

Housing support is only affected when the working person living with the claimant is 22+. As you're 17, you should not affect her benefit entitlement. Her basic UC payment is based on her income, not yours. Benefits relating to children ditto.

But it depends on your family's particular circumstances and benefits. Do this benefits calculator to find out a specific answer. If you're unsure, do go to Citizens Advice and get a full benefits review.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending