Turn on thread page Beta

What are the oldest civilizations and which race did they belong to? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've already searched it up and I seem to be getting quite a few mixed results, so I want a realistic reply.
    In your opinion what are the oldest civilizations and where did they occur(and what race were they)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NixUotan)
    I've already searched it up and I seem to be getting quite a few mixed results, so I want a realistic reply.
    In your opinion what are the oldest civilizations and where did they occur(and what race were they)?
    I think it's generally accepted amongst scholars that the earliest complex civilisation was the Sumerian civilisation in Mesopotamia which started around 4000 BC. They were the ones who invented the cuneiform script, the earliest known form of writing which allowed more complex forms of administration etc... As to their ethnicity, I don't think it's specifically known or if it is, I couldn't find anything conclusive on it other than speculation
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I presume they were of the human race, but we will never know the possible extent of dinosaur culture...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghostmaster475)
    I think it's generally accepted amongst scholars that the earliest complex civilisation was the Sumerian civilisation in Mesopotamia which started around 4000 BC. They were the ones who invented the cuneiform script, the earliest known form of writing which allowed more complex forms of administration etc... As to their ethnicity, I don't think it's specifically known or if it is, I couldn't find anything conclusive on it other than speculation
    Oldest civilization that people know their ethnicity to? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can speak broadly when referring to the ethnicity of the Sumerians, they were Asiatics but I don't know anymore specifically on the topic

ReputationRep:
    Sumer was in Mesopotamia. Egyptian art depicts the people of later Mesopotamian civilisations as having paler skin than the Egyptians and Nubians, so they were probably similar in appearance to today's inhabitants of the Middle East.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mesopotamia/China [in oneform or another] and thus Middle Eastern and Asian.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The oldest civilization - in terms of having a clear hierachy and a structure in society - is Ur, a city, the first city with over 25,000 inhabitants in mesopotamia. They had their head of states, their public servants and the merchants, three important factors to flourish a civilization. Moreover the citizens of Ur were the first ones who used tablets in cuneiform for administration.

ReputationRep:
    ATlanteans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghostmaster475)
    Yeah, i was always taught that the Mesopotamian civilisation was the oldest known civilisation. and as to the race question, I'd say they were of African heritage having recently migrated from Africa. However, I'm not sure, this is just guessing!
    However, to add another layer to the original question, the idea of race can get quite complicated while talking about world history before the rise of colonialism or imperialism as race really emerged as an important social issue as it became a tool to be utilised by the colonial empires to justify the mistreatment of colonial subjects, it was also utilised to dehumanise them, giving rise to many contemporary popular early eugenics thought! there is a youtuber called ContraPoints who has a video explaining the idea of race, definitely look it up (However, do be aware that going into any topic of race discussion with an open mind is integral and actually listen to what is being said rather than taking everything as a personal offense, just a word of warning!)
    so to basically answer the question, there is no clear idea as to what race Mesopotamians were as race wasn't a issue while mating so people tended to be very mixed i suppose ethnicity and social class were more important factors in that civilisation

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.