Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

VB1338 - Capital Punishment (Referendum) Bill 2018 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many as are of that opinion, Aye
    48.98%
    On the contrary, No
    44.90%
    Abstain
    6.12%

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    B1338 - Capital Punishment (Referendum) Bill 2018, Connor27A Bill to legislate for a referendum on the reintroduction of capital punishment as a penalty for the most serious crimes.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 The referendum

(1) A referendum is to be held on whether the United Kingdom should reintroduce capital punishment.

(2) The question that is to appear on the ballot papers is—

“Should the United Kingdom reintroduce capital punishment?”

2 Extent, commencement, and short title

(1) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.

(2) This Act comes into force on the day on which it is passed.

(3) Appendix 1 comes into force in the event of a 2/3 supermajority “yes” vote in the ensuing referendum, otherwise the result shall be advisory.

(4) This Act may be cited as the Capital Punishment (Referendum) Act 2018

Appendix 1:

(1) From the date of this appendix coming into law, any judge has the discretion to decree a penalty of death by lethal injection, where they deem it appropriate, and only where a sentence of life imprisonment is an option , for crimes of which a defendant has been found guilty by a jury.

(2) Any death sentence issued is subject to a potential veto by the Secretary of State for Justice upon request, upon which the sentence shall be commuted to life imprisonment.

Notes:

This bill legislates for a referendum on the reintroduction of capital punishment in the UK.

I have noticed the multiple opinion polls showing a clear majority among the general public for reinstatement of capital punishment; but despite this because of politicians being personally against the issue is ignored.

Debate is healthy, and even though I may be personally opposed to capital punishment, I believe that the debate must be held due to popular demand, and the people deserve a say in whether or not the death penalty should return.

Changes for second reading:

In the light of the numerous calls to make this referendum advisory; I decided to amend the bill so that a 2/3 supermajority in the referendum is required to trigger the appendix, otherwise the result shall be advisory.

ReputationRep:
    It's an aye from me. I'll support a referendum on the issue even if I don't agree with having the death penalty.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Aye on this, I urge other members of the house to support this too
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Aye, this is an issue where if put forward for a Referendum is not to complex for ordinary people to make a decision on. It is also an issue which is hotly debated, and one in which governments tend to avoid (which shouldn't be happening in a liberal democracy).

ReputationRep:
    I believe in the death penalty for most serious cases. Harold Shipman, Ian Huntley and those involved in with raping children in Rochdale, Oxford and Rotherham.

ReputationRep:
    No. We should not entertain the idea of implementing this barbaric practice. Let it only exist in the cesspools of history.

ReputationRep:
    No to another pointless referendum.

ReputationRep:
    No. This will be a waste of money.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    After thinking about it, I don't think this referendum is necessary and if we are to have a referendum it should be on a more contentious issue - we all know what the result of this referendum will be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    After thinking about it, I don't think this referendum is necessary and if we are to have a referendum it should be on a more contentious issue - we all know what the result of this referendum will be
    Hear, hear!

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    DayneD89 I’ve reconsidered, please switch my Aye to a Nay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    DayneD89 Abstain to Nay please. Thanks.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Please change my vote from Abstain to an Aye; I do not fully agree with the contents but I strongly believe we should hold a referendum and thus I would like to see this pass.

ReputationRep:
    DayneD89: you have missed a vote change, Saunders16 requested for his vote to be changed to an aye.

ReputationRep:
    DayneD89 please change my vote to an abstain, thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it!

Unlock!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.