Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I would like to study medicine when I am older and I am a tad unsure on what subjects to take. I know I am definitely taking higher chemistry and biology. But I am not sure if I should do higher human biology or just general biology. I am either going to do maths or physics but a lot of people tell me higher physics is hard but however I am a lot better at physics than maths. In my prelim (N5) I got 88% for physics but only 72% for maths. I am also thinking of doing higher history and English. Any advise would help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by amber100)
    Hi I would like to study medicine when I am older and I am a tad unsure on what subjects to take. I know I am definitely taking higher chemistry and biology. But I am not sure if I should do higher human biology or just general biology. I am either going to do maths or physics but a lot of people tell me higher physics is hard but however I am a lot better at physics than maths. In my prelim (N5) I got 88% for physics but only 72% for maths. I am also thinking of doing higher history and English. Any advise would help!
    Pick subjects you are good at and likely to do well in. You don't need higher biology but it will help. Check uni entry requirements as well.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Amber,

As alleycat noted, it's important that you pick subjects you like because it often means you're likely to do better in them!

Regarding whether to take Human Biology or Biology, some medical schools consider these to be equivalent. If you have an idea of medical schools you're interested in, why not have a look at our comparison tool to see where this applies? This can also help you figure out what subjects are valued by them!

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Pick subjects you are good at and likely to do well in. You don't need higher biology but it will help. Check uni entry requirements as well.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hi Amber,

As alleycat noted, it's important that you pick subjects you like because it often means you're likely to do better in them!

Regarding whether to take Human Biology or Biology, some medical schools consider these to be equivalent. If you have an idea of medical schools you're interested in, why not have a look at our comparison tool to see where this applies? This can also help you figure out what subjects are valued by them!

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    I’m in S5 and doing my highers this year. The typical subjects to take for medicine are the three sciences, english and maths. There are about ten people in my year who want to do medicine, eight of them - including me - are doing these subjects. The two others are doing the three sciences, maths and another language instead of english. My friend is doing german because she thought she would get a higher mark than in english. However, before making this change, she emailed all the universities to ask if she would be at a disadvantage not taking english. They all said no, except Aberdeen said that they value english for good communication but it doesn’t make the difference between acceptance and rejection.

Basically, the most important thing is getting those five A’s.
    Chemistry is pretty much mandatory - a few uni’s may accept you without it but defo don’t risk it.
    Human biology is never favoured over biology - at my school we didn’t have the choice, but to keep your options open I would pick biology.
    Most uni’s ask for physics or maths - I took both but if you would rather take one, take the one you are best at.

If I were you I would drop the uni’s you’re interested in a wee email and ask which subjects they would prefer - I considered doing history instead if english for a wee bit, so I emailed uni’s to see if they had a preference. Although they said they didn’t, I still had this sort of irrational fear that they just take all the applications that aren’t biology, chemistry, physics, english and maths and binned them! Although they no longer request english, I feel there is maybe still a hidden bias (although don’t quote me on that!).

Now, I am VERY glad I took english instead of history. I want to apply to cambridge so I rly need to be getting A band 1s. In my nat 5 prelims I only dropped two marks in history but only just scraped an band 1 in english. Now, at higher, I find english easier than at nat 5! The close reading is a lot more analysis, which I prefer, and the poems and critical essay and pretty much exactly the same - just a little more in depth. On the other hand, my twin sister took history and it’s very different to nat 5. You have to write essays very similar to the nat 5 assignment in the exam, and it’s VERY hard to get full marks. So, when picking subjects, maybe think about the step up as well.
    My friend who picked german over english is finding it quite a big step up and I think she would probs of been better taking english. After getting a low band one in the prelim, she got a bit of a shock and worked even harder for the nat 5 english final exam, where she got 98%!

Sorry I rambled quite a bit, but if you can make sense of any of this I hope it helped!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K8e.H)
    Hi there!
    I’m in S5 and doing my highers this year. The typical subjects to take for medicine are the three sciences, english and maths. There are about ten people in my year who want to do medicine, eight of them - including me - are doing these subjects. The two others are doing the three sciences, maths and another language instead of english. My friend is doing german because she thought she would get a higher mark than in english. However, before making this change, she emailed all the universities to ask if she would be at a disadvantage not taking english. They all said no, except Aberdeen said that they value english for good communication but it doesn’t make the difference between acceptance and rejection.

Basically, the most important thing is getting those five A’s.
    Chemistry is pretty much mandatory - a few uni’s may accept you without it but defo don’t risk it.
    Human biology is never favoured over biology - at my school we didn’t have the choice, but to keep your options open I would pick biology.
    Most uni’s ask for physics or maths - I took both but if you would rather take one, take the one you are best at.

If I were you I would drop the uni’s you’re interested in a wee email and ask which subjects they would prefer - I considered doing history instead if english for a wee bit, so I emailed uni’s to see if they had a preference. Although they said they didn’t, I still had this sort of irrational fear that they just take all the applications that aren’t biology, chemistry, physics, english and maths and binned them! Although they no longer request english, I feel there is maybe still a hidden bias (although don’t quote me on that!).

Now, I am VERY glad I took english instead of history. I want to apply to cambridge so I rly need to be getting A band 1s. In my nat 5 prelims I only dropped two marks in history but only just scraped an band 1 in english. Now, at higher, I find english easier than at nat 5! The close reading is a lot more analysis, which I prefer, and the poems and critical essay and pretty much exactly the same - just a little more in depth. On the other hand, my twin sister took history and it’s very different to nat 5. You have to write essays very similar to the nat 5 assignment in the exam, and it’s VERY hard to get full marks. So, when picking subjects, maybe think about the step up as well.
    My friend who picked german over english is finding it quite a big step up and I think she would probs of been better taking english. After getting a low band one in the prelim, she got a bit of a shock and worked even harder for the nat 5 english final exam, where she got 98%!

Sorry I rambled quite a bit, but if you can make sense of any of this I hope it helped!
    Thank you so much! This helped me a lot!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.