Turn on thread page Beta

Depression is ruining my life watch

I had recently been diagnosed with depression and Aspergers by a psychiatrist which I will be seeing on Monday after waiting for months for an appointment.My a levels are not going very well BBU I know I have a long time to improve.I know I can get 3A's I know I can.The reason I am doing so poorly is because I feel mentally unwell my body feels stiff I feel constantly really upset or angry.As a result I don't study much as I feel too sad to study.

I feel like I have become a slave to my emotions because if I don't feel good I won't do anything.I used to be so goal orientated and quite successful too.This upsets me a lot as I know that i am not depression and this person that this illness is making me be is not who I am I know i am better than this I don't want to give up on my studies and fail.But I am not doing much about my poor grades because I don't want to face the truth and I feel emotionally hurt and upset.

All my life I have always been excluded and rejected by my peers.So I thought I am going to show them all how wrong they were about me that I am someone and they will be sorry they all hurt.I have been raised in a single parent household abandoned my dad at a young age which also caused me to be quite angry for a long time.

Now I tell myself that what I think is the most important and that I don't care what anyone thinks or say so no one can ever hurt me again.I tell myself that I am better than everyone else but deep inside I don't believe it I know that I am unintelligent,ugly and have no good character traits whatsoever.

I have wanted to study medicine for so many years now I am so close and everything is falling apart I have lost control over my depression and can no longer hold it together.I told my school about this but they didn't care and provided no support.

ReputationRep:
    There is no time limit regarding your ambitions. If you can't study medicine as an undergraduate, study a different biology/chemistry related degree then apply for medicine as a graduate

ReputationRep:
    I would usually recommend talking to the counselor at your school as the first point of call, however, you've said your school isn't helping and you've seen a psychiatrist. I'm guessing you're over 16 as you're doing A levels so unless there is danger to you a doctor will keep what you tell him confidential. I don't know if you want to take antidepressants or not but the doc may recommend them or talk therapy. Given that you've been diagnosed and are seeing a psychiatrist it easier to get extenuating circumstances come exam time if you're still suffering then.

I don't want you to think I'm downplaying what you're experiencing but have you tried cleaning up your diet and exercising? I know it sounds useless but some exercise gets the endorphins going and can really help with making you feel a bit better if you've mild to moderate depression.

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    There is no time limit regarding your ambitions. If you can't study medicine as an undergraduate, study a different biology/chemistry related degree then apply for medicine as a graduate
    I would not be able to fund a postgraduate medicine course as you can only take out loans for undergraduate courses.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    I would usually recommend talking to the counselor at your school as the first point of call, however, you've said your school isn't helping and you've seen a psychiatrist. I'm guessing you're over 16 as you're doing A levels so unless there is danger to you a doctor will keep what you tell him confidential. I don't know if you want to take antidepressants or not but the doc may recommend them or talk therapy. Given that you've been diagnosed and are seeing a psychiatrist it easier to get extenuating circumstances come exam time if you're still suffering then.

I don't want you to think I'm downplaying what you're experiencing but have you tried cleaning up your diet and exercising? I know it sounds useless but some exercise gets the endorphins going and can really help with making you feel a bit better if you've mild to moderate depression.
    I am not allowed much exercise as i am slightly underwieght and my diet is good.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.