Turn on thread page Beta

Depression is ruining my life watch

I had recently been diagnosed with depression and Aspergers by a psychiatrist which I will be seeing on Monday after waiting for months for an appointment.My a levels are not going very well BBU I know I have a long time to improve.I know I can get 3A's I know I can.The reason I am doing so poorly is because I feel mentally unwell my body feels stiff I feel constantly really upset or angry.As a result I don't study much as I feel too sad to study.

I feel like I have become a slave to my emotions because if I don't feel good I won't do anything.I used to be so goal orientated and quite successful too.This upsets me a lot as I know that i am not depression and this person that this illness is making me be is not who I am I know i am better than this I don't want to give up on my studies and fail.But I am not doing much about my poor grades because I don't want to face the truth and I feel emotionally hurt and upset.

All my life I have always been excluded and rejected by my peers.So I thought I am going to show them all how wrong they were about me that I am someone and they will be sorry they all hurt.I have been raised in a single parent household abandoned my dad at a young age which also caused me to be quite angry for a long time.

Now I tell myself that what I think is the most important and that I don't care what anyone thinks or say so no one can ever hurt me again.I tell myself that I am better than everyone else but deep inside I don't believe it I know that I am unintelligent,ugly and have no good character traits whatsoever.

I have wanted to study medicine for so many years now I am so close and everything is falling apart I have lost control over my depression and can no longer hold it together.I told my school about this but they didn't care and provided no support.

ReputationRep:
    There is no time limit regarding your ambitions. If you can't study medicine as an undergraduate, study a different biology/chemistry related degree then apply for medicine as a graduate

ReputationRep:
    I would usually recommend talking to the counselor at your school as the first point of call, however, you've said your school isn't helping and you've seen a psychiatrist. I'm guessing you're over 16 as you're doing A levels so unless there is danger to you a doctor will keep what you tell him confidential. I don't know if you want to take antidepressants or not but the doc may recommend them or talk therapy. Given that you've been diagnosed and are seeing a psychiatrist it easier to get extenuating circumstances come exam time if you're still suffering then.

I don't want you to think I'm downplaying what you're experiencing but have you tried cleaning up your diet and exercising? I know it sounds useless but some exercise gets the endorphins going and can really help with making you feel a bit better if you've mild to moderate depression.

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    There is no time limit regarding your ambitions. If you can't study medicine as an undergraduate, study a different biology/chemistry related degree then apply for medicine as a graduate
    I would not be able to fund a postgraduate medicine course as you can only take out loans for undergraduate courses.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    I would usually recommend talking to the counselor at your school as the first point of call, however, you've said your school isn't helping and you've seen a psychiatrist. I'm guessing you're over 16 as you're doing A levels so unless there is danger to you a doctor will keep what you tell him confidential. I don't know if you want to take antidepressants or not but the doc may recommend them or talk therapy. Given that you've been diagnosed and are seeing a psychiatrist it easier to get extenuating circumstances come exam time if you're still suffering then.

I don't want you to think I'm downplaying what you're experiencing but have you tried cleaning up your diet and exercising? I know it sounds useless but some exercise gets the endorphins going and can really help with making you feel a bit better if you've mild to moderate depression.
    I am not allowed much exercise as i am slightly underwieght and my diet is good.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.