Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently left my uni course due to falling behind so far due to illness and the career path wasnt the way I wanted to take it Im now currently in a situation where I dont know what I want to do with myself or what I want to do career wise The course I lefy was interactive media I based my whole life structing around this and now all I want to do is make money I’ve been poking around the idea of an apprenticeship but apprenticeships with my skills fall short and my portfolio doesnt stand out from the rest. This bothers me because im it was my second time retaking year 1 and I couldnt survive 5 months independent studies However hindsight is kicking in for me telling me I should’ve continued the course till the end Im now unemployed in debt and feel extremely low and curious about what Im doing with my life pls help me.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Belgrave97)
    x
    Life is about growth. Life is about the journey. You're young. Im young. We're young. Stop stressing. You got another 60+ years to live and find a job. In order to give you advice... Do you still want to work in interactive media? What is your dream/ideal job?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I can understand why you feel this way, but there is no rule that says you have to have everything figured out straight away. It’s okay to take your time or figuring it out as you go, trust me the majority of people fall into their careers over time and when opportunities present themselves. Not through careful planning (though obviously there are some people for which their plans do go smoothly). In the meantime I think it’s for the best to try to get any work experience and income you can. Working can give you a different perspective (and it’s advisable not to have big gaps in your CV). Working (in anything you can find) may also give you a better idea of what you do and don’t enjoy, as well as giving you skills and opportunities along way
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    An animator or storyboard artist is the dream job since I was in middle school I just dont like the debt of Uni weighing on me ad my overall mental and phyiscal health wilted away and I know this can be accomplished with my family

(Original post by 8472)
    Life is about growth. Life is about the journey. You're young. Im young. We're young. Stop stressing. You got another 60+ years to live and find a job. In order to give you advice... Do you still want to work in interactive media? What is your dream/ideal job?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Belgrave97)
    An animator or storyboard artist is the dream job since I was in middle school I just dont like the debt of Uni weighing on me ad my overall mental and phyiscal health wilted away and I know this can be accomplished with my family
    Hey. Sorry for a slow reply. I had my notifications bug last night. You can certainly get into that career without uni, it just takes time and dedication. You obviously have an interest in it so must do some in your free time? Perhaps storyboard for a film idea you have. Storyboard for an existing film. Build up example of your work whilst you go back to working a normal job. Eventually you'll have enough to start applying for roles in smaller production companies or lower budget content. Continue building your portfolio and now credits. Try to build links with producers and directors at industry events. Someone might give you a chance or something similar, from there it snowballs and you should be et. It's not easy and it's a long game.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.