The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh uni

My son had the predicted grades AAB. But they haven't even given him an unconditional offer. UCCAS says that's it. But can you appeal or get round this. Because what happens if he got 3 A's
So I assume they rejected him? It might have not even been grade related, maybe his reference or personal statement could have swayed against them giving an offer. I'd say if he really really wants to go to Edinburgh then he needs to take a gap year. But to be honest, there are loads of other great universities out there that would welcome him with open arms.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
The offers (or lack thereof) are entirely up to the universities - whether they make on or not is their business, and they have no obligation to make an offer to every student meeting their minimum published requirements. The strength of the "gathered field" of applicants varies from year to year and course to course, and it may be they had a particularly strong set of applications this year.

Equally, to my knowledge Edinburgh (and I believe Glasgow in a similar vein) note on their website that normally applicants will need to exceed the minimum (sometimes quite considerably) to make a competitive application. There is UCAS Adjustment for students who exceed the requirements of their firm choice - and Clearing besides that. I don't know if Edinburgh participates in either of these for any/all courses however. Finally there is the option of taking a gap year and reapplying if neither of those are applicable and he exceeds his predicted grades considerably, or going on to complete his undergraduate elsewhere and applying for graduate study at Edinburgh.

I would note an unconditional offer is very rarely given to students who have not year completed their qualifications. A conditional offer is the standard fare - but it is not guaranteed by any means even when meeting (or sometimes exceeding) the stated entry criteria, particularly for popular universities and courses (as suggested above).
Reply 3
Thanks. Sorry I meant conditional. So appealing for this September is fairly futile.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
The offers (or lack thereof) are entirely up to the universities - whether they make on or not is their business, and they have no obligation to make an offer to every student meeting their minimum published requirements. The strength of the "gathered field" of applicants varies from year to year and course to course, and it may be they had a particularly strong set of applications this year.

Equally, to my knowledge Edinburgh (and I believe Glasgow in a similar vein) note on their website that normally applicants will need to exceed the minimum (sometimes quite considerably) to make a competitive application. There is UCAS Adjustment for students who exceed the requirements of their firm choice - and Clearing besides that. I don't know if Edinburgh participates in either of these for any/all courses however. Finally there is the option of taking a gap year and reapplying if neither of those are applicable and he exceeds his predicted grades considerably, or going on to complete his undergraduate elsewhere and applying for graduate study at Edinburgh.

I would note an unconditional offer is very rarely given to students who have not year completed their qualifications. A conditional offer is the standard fare - but it is not guaranteed by any means even when meeting (or sometimes exceeding) the stated entry criteria, particularly for popular universities and courses (as suggested above).

I can confirm Edinburgh definitely participated in UCAS Adjustment the previous academic year. :borat: I anticipate it'll be the same this year as well.

Original post by Marmion
Thanks. Sorry I meant conditional. So appealing for this September is fairly futile.

Your son still has a chance on results day.

Just get him to keep his eyes peeled on the Edinburgh website on results day and have the Edinburgh Admissions hotline number (it'll be released on the day) and make sure he calls him as soon as he gets his hands on his results. Make sure his phone is fully charged and ensure he has access to a laptop/desktop so he can e-mail the admissions office as they'll ask him to e-mail results and the course he wants to change to.

He just needs to really try his best in the coming public exams to maximise his chances of getting in via Adjustment. Do bear in mind in order to be eligible for UCAS Adjustment, your son needs to meet and exceed his firm choice. More details here
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply