Turn on thread page Beta

Student Finance Overpayment when they Changed my Loan Amount watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I went to university and got a maintenance loan of around 8.5k (4.8k of that goes on rent), I was there for 2 semesters and got kicked out. Now after being kicked out Student Finance England sent me a letter saying Online Notification of Entitlement letter where it says "Your 2017/2018 student finance application has been approved" (bearing in mind this is after I was kicked out) and stating that my maintenance loan has been change to 2k. I thought this was weird but thought nothing of it, then they've sent me another letter saying "Recovery of Loan and Grant Overpayment Letter" stating that I've been paid 5.7k where as I should have got 2k so I have been overpayed 3.7k and that needs to be paid back right away but 60ish% of that money goes on rent as everyone knows and the rest goes on living . So I'm a bit confused how after I've been withdrawn they can then change my loan amount and then say I've been overpayed (I don't have anywhere near 3.7k to pay them back but I honestly don't think I should have to pay that back right away).
    I'm going to ring SFE tomorrow but until then any advice would be great.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by samstudent123)
    Okay so I went to university and got a maintenance loan of around 8.5k (4.8k of that goes on rent), I was there for 2 semesters and got kicked out. Now after being kicked out Student Finance England sent me a letter saying Online Notification of Entitlement letter where it says "Your 2017/2018 student finance application has been approved" (bearing in mind this is after I was kicked out) and stating that my maintenance loan has been change to 2k. I thought this was weird but thought nothing of it, then they've sent me another letter saying "Recovery of Loan and Grant Overpayment Letter" stating that I've been paid 5.7k where as I should have got 2k so I have been overpayed 3.7k and that needs to be paid back right away but 60ish% of that money goes on rent as everyone knows and the rest goes on living . So I'm a bit confused how after I've been withdrawn they can then change my loan amount and then say I've been overpayed (I don't have anywhere near 3.7k to pay them back but I honestly don't think I should have to pay that back right away).
    I'm going to ring SFE tomorrow but until then any advice would be great.

Hi samstudent123,

Initially you would have been assessed for the full year, including the holidays.

Your entitlement is then split into three almost equal instalments.

When your university advise that you have withdrawn, you are then reassessed from the first day of your course up until the day they advise you last attended.

We look at what you are now entitled to for the length of time that you were actually there and the amount you have already been paid.

If you have been paid more than you were entitled to then you will be advised of the overpayment.

Regards Rona

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.