The Student Room Group

Is it hard if you take double science for GCSE and want to do science for A-level?

I want to take science for A-level but I'm not in the top set for science so I won't get triple science cos only people in set 1 can take triple science. Is it hard for you if you do science for A-level cos I will miss some subjects in science.
I took double science and i'm doing A-level sciences , i looked at the extra triple science bit after my gcses during last summer to familiarize myself with it , but tbh there isn't that much difference so you should be fine :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ray_Shadows
I took double science and i'm doing A-level sciences , i looked at the extra triple science bit after my gcses during last summer to familiarize myself with it , but tbh there isn't that much difference so you should be fine :smile:

I will have a look at that! Thanks loads btw
Reply 3
I did triple science however i found it barely useful in Biology AS level for the OCR specification, only some things we learnt it in triple science were helul and came up in AS but we had many students who done double science so the teacher had to teach those things to them so she wont skip it i had forgotten about them so if you are unable to do triple dont worry as you wont be at a major disadvantage for Biology anyway im not sure about Chemistry or Physics so dw :smile:
Original post by tiffany14
I will have a look at that! Thanks loads btw

Np i think half of our a-level chemistry class took double science
I did triple science for gcse but i skipped double science and i'll be honest. For A-level chemistry only a couple topics were relevant, although it was useful to have knowledge in other topics. For A-level physics it was pretty much the same scenario but our teacher taught us in an interesting way completely different to my chemistry or maths a-level teachers. But I would say that the first year i went pretty much without doing nothing and still did well. IMO as long as you put in the work it doesn't matter weather or not you did triple. Math knowledge is probably better than triple. I remember people who weren't that good at maths had a tough time in Physics since there was a lot of maths involved.
I know plenty of people who did double who now do A Level sciences.
Same here, I know that several of my friends (who take double science) want to take a science next year and honestly I don’t think that triple science is much more work and effort than double. That’s why I would always recommend triple science unless you absolutely hate science, because the amount of extra effort needed to get the triple qualification is much less than that required to take double and an extra subject. My friends who are taking double science are regretting it because of the extra workload. But it’s up to you and personally I don’t think you need triple to study science at a level. Although it might depend on which science you want to take for a level.
Reply 8
Original post by ItsMeDario
I did triple science for gcse but i skipped double science and i'll be honest. For A-level chemistry only a couple topics were relevant, although it was useful to have knowledge in other topics. For A-level physics it was pretty much the same scenario but our teacher taught us in an interesting way completely different to my chemistry or maths a-level teachers. But I would say that the first year i went pretty much without doing nothing and still did well. IMO as long as you put in the work it doesn't matter weather or not you did triple. Math knowledge is probably better than triple. I remember people who weren't that good at maths had a tough time in Physics since there was a lot of maths involved.

That's would be rly helpful for me thank you!!!!
Reply 9
I do Physics a-level and only took double science, it really won't make much of a difference. I mean maybe you might be familiar with like the 1st topic of whatever science a level you choose to do but that's about it really.

Quick Reply

Latest