Turn on thread page Beta

How to maintain energy when revising for the next couple of months watch

ReputationRep:
    So in a levels there is a lot of content to remember and i was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to continue to have energy through the revision season.

This is not so much about motivation but i often get very tired after revising for say 5 hours so how can i maintain energy so i can be revising for 8 hours

ReputationRep:
    boost

ReputationRep:
    I don’t know sorry, I have GCSEs soon but I know a levels are super tough as well. Sadly I’m not feeling very motivated at the moment so I can’t help you. I’ll try and wing them 😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appazap)
    So in a levels there is a lot of content to remember and i was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to continue to have energy through the revision season.

This is not so much about motivation but i often get very tired after revising for say 5 hours so how can i maintain energy so i can be revising for 8 hours
    You shouldn't need to spend 8 hours revising - revise for 30 minutes then have a break, repeat. You will burn out if you spend that sort of time on revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    You shouldn't need to spnd 8 hours revising - revise for 30 minutes then have a break, repeat. You will burn out if you spend that sort of time on revision.
    Obviously not all in one go, but more when i get study leave and half terms off, i thought 8 hours a day was normal to do, with breaks every 1/2 hours?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not all in one go, but more when i get study leave and half terms off, i thought 8 hours a day was normal to do, with breaks every 1/2 hours?
    How long are your breaks? What sport/activities do you do? [I'm a teacher btw]

ReputationRep:
    How long are your breaks? What sport/activities do you do? [I'm a teacher btw]
    Anywhere between 1/1 and a half. I don't do any activities i just revise but i heard running in the morning is a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    Stay hydrated

ReputationRep:
    I would say don’t aim to do 8 hours every single day, you do need a day off as well. Maybe do a mixture of 3-8 hour days
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    By not studying for such a ridiculously long time? Humans are barely able to maintain their focus for hald an hour, let alone 5 to 8 hours. Anyone will feel burnout if they try to revise for that long.

If you feel the need to revise for 5 hours and also feel the need to up that to 8 hours then you are revising wrong. Stop trying to throw more hours into your revision as you are already finding diminishing returns and greater drawbacks. Instead learn how to revise effectively so that you can spend less time revising, not feel the need to spend more time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlestudent)
    I would say don’t aim to do 8 hours every single day, you do need a day off as well. Maybe do a mixture of 3-8 hour days
    Name:  Untfgditled.png
Views: 48
Size:  31.6 KB

so this is a timetable, i have made for half term, I am not really sure how long each day will take me but what i want to achieve is getting all of this done along with past papers and questions.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Untfgditled.png
Views: 48
Size:  31.6 KB

so this is a timetable, i have made for half term, I am not really sure how long each day will take me but what i want to achieve is getting all of this done along with past papers and questions.
    That looks like a good time table! If you feel you cannot complete something in a particular day maybe get a note pad and write the objective. Then you can complete it the next time you have some time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    By not studying for such a ridiculously long time? Humans are barely able to maintain their focus for hald an hour, let alone 5 to 8 hours. Anyone will feel burnout if they try to revise for that long.

If you feel the need to revise for 5 hours and also feel the need to up that to 8 hours then you are revising wrong. Stop trying to throw more hours into your revision as you are already finding diminishing returns and greater drawbacks. Instead learn how to revise effectively so that you can spend less time revising, not feel the need to spend more time.
    hmm, i take psychology, chemistry and maths. How would you suggest revising effectively for psychology and chemistry because they are content heavy?

if i was to do:
    psychology: reading textbook for one hour
    Chemistry: reading text book for one hour
    Psychology: Past questions for one hour
    Chemistry: past questions/papers for 2 hours
    then obviously maths, would that be more efficient

ReputationRep:
    Are you retaking some of your Maths? Just focus on past papers by that stage - end of March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlestudent)
    That looks like a good time table! If you feel you cannot complete something in a particular day maybe get a note pad and write the objective. Then you can complete it the next time you have some time.
    Thank you i have done it on word so i can shuffle things around if i have to. I am thinking of trying to revise everything so in april I can just bang out past papers and revise stuff i still do not understand.

I am also thinking of doing some revision in my room then also going to the library to switch up where i am revising

ReputationRep:
    Are you retaking some of your Maths? Just focus on past papers by that stage - end of March.
    Yeah just c1 and c2! I am hoping to get 100% or close in those. I thought it would be beneficial for me to bang out 8 hours everyday in half term but i am not too sure now.

I do try to revise regularly so its not a case i haven't revised but i am just scared that by june i may not know everything i need to.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just c1 and c2! I am hoping to get 100% or close in those. I thought it would be beneficial for me to bang out 8 hours everyday in half term but i am not too sure now.

I do try to revise regularly so its not a case i haven't revised but i am just scared that by june i may not know everything i need to.
    c1 and C2 should be easy and just need past papers timed or even the gold papers [if Edexcel] - no wonder you sound stressed if you are retaking.

ReputationRep:
    c1 and C2 should be easy and just need past papers timed or even the gold papers [if Edexcel] - no wonder you sound stressed if you are retaking.

ya, the exams start in may lol. I just hope i have the energy to get through it all tbh

ReputationRep:
    Lots of sleep!! I recommend stop studying by 8pm as your brain gets tired and not much will go in, dont coop yourself up inside make sure you get some fresh air and exercise will deffo help!! Just get a right amount - start now and slowly build up - I tend to have 1 rest day when I do about 1-2 hours instead
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hmm, i take psychology, chemistry and maths. How would you suggest revising effectively for psychology and chemistry because they are content heavy?

if i was to do:
    psychology: reading textbook for one hour
    Chemistry: reading text book for one hour
    Psychology: Past questions for one hour
    Chemistry: past questions/papers for 2 hours
    then obviously maths, would that be more efficient
    Are you doing this daily? So putting in 2 hours per subject, every day until your exams? Or do you rotate on and off days?

Reading textbooks is generally a poor way to revise and doesn't work for most people. Most people only remember 10% of what they read, which means in a 1 hour session of reading the textbook you'll only remember around 6 minutes of what you read. That's pretty poor returns on your time.

Additionally textbooks are full of superfluous rubbish. Odds are an entire page in your textbook can be summarised into a few short sentences or a few lines of notes. When I took Psychology A Level I was able to summarise each study (which took between 1 and 2 pages of the textbook) into a line or two of short notes. Simply put, textbooks will write things like "There were 40 participants that took part in this study" when the only bit you need to care about is the 40 and maybe the word "participants" if you don't remember exactly what the 40 refers to.

This makes reading textbooks a bad idea. You won't remember most of what you read and you spend a lot of wasted time reading all the words around the key point that you actually need to remember.

You also don't really need to be doing every subject every day, nor do you need to be doing past papers and practice questions all the time. There's only going to be a finite number of practice questions you can go through and if you're doing a past paper every day for each subject you're going to run out of past papers within a week or two. Instead you'd be better doing maybe 1 or 2 papers a week, per subject at most. Even just doing one past paper every week between now and your exams would still cover all the past papers in time.

As for effective revision, for Maths you'll mostly find yourself going over past papers and questions from your textbook. There's not an awful lot else you can really do unless there are things like formulas that you need to remember for the exam. Maths is really just about practicing the content.

For Psychology and Chemistry where you have a lot of stuff to remember, consider making more effective revision material. Textbooks are for teaching but they're a poor tool for revision. A few things you could do include flashcards, mind maps, diagrams/rich pictures, think up a song, poem or limerick and write condensed notes. The important things are to vary your techniques and find what works for you. If you can find easy to remember links that helps too. For example when I was revising Psychology there was a study that had a number of participants that was the same as my door number. That was pretty difficult to forget. There were other mathematical links as well, stuff like X male participants, Y female participants and XY% as a result.

When you've got loads of material to remember it is not a good idea to try cramming it in your memory by repeatedly staring at textbooks. You need to be active as doing something immediately improves your chances of remembering. On top of that, aid your memory by cutting out as much useless info as possible. You'll also find silly or funny links in the information help, so try making jokes or imagining crazy situations to link the information to.

In short, make your revision more active and less about reading the books. I'd probably aim for around 2-3 hours of revision per day, split into smaller chunks. At most 4 hours and make sure you have some days off. Even just doing 2 hours every day between now and your exams is 136 hours before May. That's probably not far off how long you'd actually spend on one of your subjects in class across the year.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.