Turn on thread page Beta

How to maintain energy when revising for the next couple of months watch

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you could think about how to get better rest rather than how not to get tired. I am also revising for a levels. I found that often I can work for like 6 hours without stopping at the library rather than at home and I don’t get very tired. I think that during this period it is helpful and refreshing to go for walks outside. It really helps me to get a good rest. In contrast, I found that things like watching tv shows, social media and things like that in free time don’t make me feel better. So I think it is about the quality of the rest that you can have between revision sessions. Of course getting enough sleep is also important
    Hope it helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Are you doing this daily? So putting in 2 hours per subject, every day until your exams? Or do you rotate on and off days?

Reading textbooks is generally a poor way to revise and doesn't work for most people. Most people only remember 10% of what they read, which means in a 1 hour session of reading the textbook you'll only remember around 6 minutes of what you read. That's pretty poor returns on your time.

Additionally textbooks are full of superfluous rubbish. Odds are an entire page in your textbook can be summarised into a few short sentences or a few lines of notes. When I took Psychology A Level I was able to summarise each study (which took between 1 and 2 pages of the textbook) into a line or two of short notes. Simply put, textbooks will write things like "There were 40 participants that took part in this study" when the only bit you need to care about is the 40 and maybe the word "participants" if you don't remember exactly what the 40 refers to.

This makes reading textbooks a bad idea. You won't remember most of what you read and you spend a lot of wasted time reading all the words around the key point that you actually need to remember.

You also don't really need to be doing every subject every day, nor do you need to be doing past papers and practice questions all the time. There's only going to be a finite number of practice questions you can go through and if you're doing a past paper every day for each subject you're going to run out of past papers within a week or two. Instead you'd be better doing maybe 1 or 2 papers a week, per subject at most. Even just doing one past paper every week between now and your exams would still cover all the past papers in time.

As for effective revision, for Maths you'll mostly find yourself going over past papers and questions from your textbook. There's not an awful lot else you can really do unless there are things like formulas that you need to remember for the exam. Maths is really just about practicing the content.

For Psychology and Chemistry where you have a lot of stuff to remember, consider making more effective revision material. Textbooks are for teaching but they're a poor tool for revision. A few things you could do include flashcards, mind maps, diagrams/rich pictures, think up a song, poem or limerick and write condensed notes. The important things are to vary your techniques and find what works for you. If you can find easy to remember links that helps too. For example when I was revising Psychology there was a study that had a number of participants that was the same as my door number. That was pretty difficult to forget. There were other mathematical links as well, stuff like X male participants, Y female participants and XY% as a result.

When you've got loads of material to remember it is not a good idea to try cramming it in your memory by repeatedly staring at textbooks. You need to be active as doing something immediately improves your chances of remembering. On top of that, aid your memory by cutting out as much useless info as possible. You'll also find silly or funny links in the information help, so try making jokes or imagining crazy situations to link the information to.

In short, make your revision more active and less about reading the books. I'd probably aim for around 2-3 hours of revision per day, split into smaller chunks. At most 4 hours and make sure you have some days off. Even just doing 2 hours every day between now and your exams is 136 hours before May. That's probably not far off how long you'd actually spend on one of your subjects in class across the year.
    A lot of food for thought! I really appreciate this. I have a lot of revision material and i bought a whiteboard so i think i know how to make my revision more active now!!!! You're right reading your textbook for hours is not that helpful, i got A*BB and i think now its about re triggering what i already know as opposed to learning it from scratch.

I am definitely going to take your advice on board and hopefully it will pay off. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leogold00)
    Perhaps you could think about how to get better rest rather than how not to get tired. I am also revising for a levels. I found that often I can work for like 6 hours without stopping at the library rather than at home and I don’t get very tired. I think that during this period it is helpful and refreshing to go for walks outside. It really helps me to get a good rest. In contrast, I found that things like watching tv shows, social media and things like that in free time don’t make me feel better. So I think it is about the quality of the rest that you can have between revision sessions. Of course getting enough sleep is also important
    Hope it helps
    I like the idea of walks actually! I think it will be good so i can clear my head and relax more.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.